MKE06Z BitBanding and missing files

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKE06Z BitBanding and missing files

ngiussani
Contributor III

First of all, I'm aware of this discussion​. That being said, I'm frustrated with the lack of tools for this series, as there are tons of missing definitions on the very poor "MKE06Z4.h" and a very opened "No support" policy on it.

This header file mentions "Definition of BITBAND macros updated to support peripherals with 32-bit acces disabled." and there is no macro at all. I think that the definitions on "fsl_bitaccess.h" of other Kinetis microcontrollers should work, but it's a job I think I shouldn't do.

I think NXP (formerly Freescale) should explicitly warn the users of this series that the support is very poor, there a lot of thing missing, so they can have more information on whether to use this series.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

davidsherman
Senior Contributor I

As one who has been using KE06 for a while now, I am curious about these "tons" of missing definitions.  Can you give some examples?  I've been using CAN, GPIO, ADC, KBI, FTM, SPI, UART and core features, all using MKE06Z4.h.  Only problem I ever ran into was with the watchdog; trying to do a 16-bit write to WDOG_TOVAL won't work, simply because TOVALL and TOVALH aren't connected to the bus properly (the bytes will be swapped).  Worked around it easily just by writing WDOG_TOVALL and WDOG_TOVALH separately, but that's a design flaw in the hardware.

0 Kudos

ngiussani
Contributor III

Hi davidsherman​,

Thanks for answering. I may not have been clear on that matter. I meant in comparison with other devices, that have more macros and tools to make implementing an application easier and faster. Freescale was taking steps in baffling directions. In one version of the SDK there were types defined as structures for many devices, which made firmware implementation easier and clearer, but those definitions are missing in newer versions. I might be asking too much, but I think there are several incoherences regarding the tools provided to ease development.

Nevertheless, I think the devices are great, very robust and suitable for most of the industrial and automation applications I used them for.

0 Kudos