Freescale kernel roadmap ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freescale kernel roadmap ?

SJA
Contributor II

What is the freescale roadmap for the kernel ??

As of the latest yocto recipes there are currently two git trees git://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc.git and git://git.freescale.com/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git

default builds have mxs and mx5 platforms point to linux-fslc kernel version 4.1, mx6 to linux-fslc kernel 3.14-1 and mx6ul to linux-imx 3.14.38

Just wondering what the future direction is going to be ??

Will all imx platforms be moving to linux-fslc tree and kernel version 4.3x ??

(And what is the time frame consolidation ?)

Thanks,

Stuart

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Stuart Adams,

One of the git trees is part of the FSL Community BSP (git://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc), which is always changing and open for contributions so it is more up-to-date in a sense. This tree is part of the Yocto Project. You may find relatively new kernel versions available even for processors released a while ago. Some third party boards are also covered on this BSP.

The other tree (git://git.freescale.com/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git) is part of the BSP Release, which is static and only support the machines listed on the Release Notes. These are the official releases and do not change as much as the FSL Community BSP. Usually older processors do not have new BSPs releases planned so not all processors will be migrated to newer kernel versions.

For more information about the roadmap of the BSP Releases for a family of processors please contact your local FSL Representative who will gladly help.

Regards,

Gustavo

0 Kudos

matt67
Contributor III

Hello,

So I wondering what would be the best practice to start a new project ? In case of imx6UL should I take the FSL Community kernel source or the one from freescale BSP Release (which is defined as default for this evk board) ?

Regards,

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello matt67,

I think you may find the following conversation useful. There is no right answer and it will most likely depend on your project needs, but there are some guidelines to consider as mentioned there.

i.MX6: Using kernel from Linus mainline instead of Freescale git

Regards,

0 Kudos