cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6Q - PCI Express Endpoint

choppad
Contributor II

Background:

Customer using iMX6Q as a PCI Express Endpoint - NOT A ROOT COMPLEX.

Operating System uC/OS-III (Not Linux) incorporating code adapted from iMX6 Sabre Platform SDK.

5 Questions:

• Q1: The PCIe spec provides a 1 second period after reset to allow an endpoint to perform self-initialization.  It takes nearly that long for the customers system to copy and validate the boot image from SPI flash memory so we are currently unable to ready within that timeframe.  Does NXP have any recommendations on how to bring up the PCIe
    interface?  Note that the customer requires support for High-Assurance Boot.

• Q2: PCIe defines additional methods of resetting an endpoint besides the slot reset.  Specifically, the in-band Hot Reset and Link Disable should cause the endpoint to reset its state, including Config Space contents.  Assuming the i.MX6 PCIe core does reset in these cases, how can software running on the i.MX6 know if this has happened?  There
    does not appear to be any way for the PCIe core to interrupt the ARM cores. How can customer recover from a hot-reset or link down/up.

• Q3: It is common for an endpoint’s programming model to provide one or more “doorbell” or “mailbox” registers that the host system can write to trigger an I/O operation.  Customer use BAR0/1 to map host initiated PCIe transactions to memory in the i.MX6 but are forced to poll work queues because, again, there does not appear to be any way for the PCIe core to interrupt the ARM cores based on a write from the host (root complex which we are not We are Endpoint).  Any suggestions?

• Q4: The i.MX6Q PCIe EP/RC Validation System page in the i.MX Community describes performance improvements when “cache is enabled” but does not describe how to do that.  Can you elaborate?  Is there any way to use the IPU or other method to improve the PCIe performance?  Customer would like to reduce the overhead caused by transferring only 8 to 32 bytes at a time.

• Q5: Customer assumes the PCIe iATU address space (0x01000000 to 0x01ffbfff) should be mapped as Device memory in the ARM MMU.  Is this correct?
Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Please look at my comments below.

You may try fast boot solutions :

Linux Fast Boot on i.MX6 Sabresd Board 

Linux Fast Boot on i.MX6

Linux Fast Boot on i.MX6Q Board: Building Steps

It is possible to detect the entry of the PCIe endpoint to the HOT_RESET state by monitoring

the LTSSM bits in Debug Register 0 (PCIE_PL_DEBUG0).

Where the encoding for LTSSM states of the PCIe core in the i.MX6 Solo can be found?.

The following can clarify the situation

Endpoint Interrupt via PCIe 

ARM core cache is enabled or disabled may be configured, when allocating memory region for test.
Note, memory regions, intended for DMA, usually are not cached to avoid coherency issues.

PCIe iATU relates to physical address area, not virtual. 

Have a great day,

Yuri

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos