AnsweredAssumed Answered

puts()/printf() ends up at PE_DEBUGHALT() under MQX Lite

Question asked by Daniel Nagy on Feb 16, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 by Daniel Nagy

Dear Forum Members,

I am facing an issue with an FRDM-K22F development board, on which I am trying to run a simple MQX Lite application. I am using the following tools:

- Kinetis Design Studio 3.0

- Processor Expert

- MQX Lite

I have added the MQX Lite Processor Expert component and the ConsoleIO component to be able to write to the virtual COM port. I have 3 simple tasks in the MQX Lite environment, one of which is the following:

void Task1_task(uint32_t task_init_data)
{
    int counter = 0;

puts("Task 1 has started to run!");
    while(1)
    {
        counter++;
        /* Write your code here ... */
        BLUE_ClrVal(0);
        _time_delay_ticks(50);
        BLUE_SetVal(0);
        _time_delay_ticks(50);
    }
}

When I try to debug the program via OpenOCD and Task1 starts, instead of writing to the serial console, it gets stuck at a piece of code in Vectors.c which looks like this:

PE_ISR(Unhandled_ivINT_Hard_Fault)
{
  PE_DEBUGHALT();
}

I created my program following this piece of MQX Lite training material: http://www.nxp.com/files/training/doc/dwf/DWF13_AMF_ENT_T1017.pdf

Some additional information:

- Same issue when trying to use printf()

- If I comment out the puts() line, everything works fine

- ConsoleIO is configured correctly: in Processor Expert projects without MQX Lite, printf()/puts() work fine with the same ConsoleIO settings

- In the CPU Processor Expert component, under Build options -> Generate Linker files, Stack size is set to 0x0400 and Heap size is set to 0x0C00

Could anyone please give me some advice? I have searched the Internet extensively and found nothing helpful except some tutorials explaining how to use printf() with Kinetis microcontrollers - based on these, I should be facing no issues at all. For example: https://community.freescale.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/104349-3-290895/Printf_Console_UART_kds_7_v325.pdf

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Daniel

Outcomes