Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor Expert and KSDK 2.0?

Jump to solution
bcamp
Contributor III

Hi

Ok, so I have gone through the new "build process" for KSDK 2.0 and built a version for each of the dozen or so processors that I seem to have to keep up with. The new project update has added a KSDK 2.0 project option under file / new. I hit that and do a trial project for a MKL17. Up comes a nice new project with FreeRTOS as the operating system.

Now I need to start hooking up pins and clock signals. There does not seem to be any Processor Expert support in KSDK 2.0. There also does not seem to be a hardware view in KDS 3.1 when running a KSDK 2.0 based project.

So - Did I install something wrong? The only things I have seen to install are the KSDK custom package and the new project update in Eclipse. If there is something else to do, then I've missed it.

Is Processor Expert dead for 2.0 projects or is it just a little late to the party? Late I can deal with. Dead raises other questions.

*If* PE is dead for 2.0, is there an alternate pin mux / clock mux tool in the works? Again, I can deal with late. No tool at all is a bit of a PIA.

I'm not trying to start any sort of war here. I realize that things change. I'm just trying to understand how they have changed so I can react accordingly. If there is a bunch of stuff in the works, I'll just put 2.0 on the shelf for a while and wait. If this is the way things will go in the future, I might as well dive in now.

If it's a vote, I certainly would vote for retaining some sort of hardware view / pin connection function in the tool chain. It is a big help at the board layout stage.

Bob

Labels (1)
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bob,

thanks for your feedback. To answer the question about pin mux and clock configuration: yes, they are in the works, and for timing reasons they were not completed at the SDK v2 release time. You should see them in the next coming months. Thanks for your patience!

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bob,

thanks for your feedback. To answer the question about pin mux and clock configuration: yes, they are in the works, and for timing reasons they were not completed at the SDK v2 release time. You should see them in the next coming months. Thanks for your patience!

Erich

0 Kudos
PitOn
Contributor III

He's Just Not That Into You )))

0 Kudos
bcamp
Contributor III

Hi

Well, now I have the problem of two correct answers and both of them quite quick - Thanks to both of you !!!

This gives me the information I need to plan my next month or two. I sort of suspected that some time in early May would be a reasonable target date for this all coming together in a full featured system.

Thanks !!!!

Bob

0 Kudos
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello bcamp:

There are already some discussions about KSDK v2 platform. Please give them a check:

Introducing Kinetis SDK v2

Is NXP abandoning MQX?

So in short, Processor Expert will not be supported for future KSDK releases starting from KSDK v2, but there is indeed some development ongoing for new configuration tools, although we do not have much details to share right now.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez