iMX6 SoloX SABRE board; programming and booting from QSPI ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX6 SoloX SABRE board; programming and booting from QSPI ?

bap3ball
Contributor III

Using the SABRE SoloX eval board.

U-boot 2015.04-imx (and 3.14 Linux though prob. doesn't matter)

What we want to do is verify we can program u-boot into the QSPI chip(s), move the boot switches around and verify the board will boot from the QSPI chip(s) on power cycle.

After reading multiple threads on forum it's still not clear to me exactly how to do this.

We have built u-boot from sources and booted from SD card. Also have built u-boot with QSPI2 config for hopefully programming into the QSPI.

From uboot, have used the:

sf probe 0:0

sf erase

sf write

commands and verified with oscope and sf read that it appears the QSPI is being written. But of course it does not boot when the switches are set to boot from QSPI. I have verified with switches changed the QSPI  is getting clock and chip selects on power cycle but doesn't boot. Only sends out about 6 CS cycles then stops.

After reading the QSPI Boot section in SoloX reference guide (section 8.6) I'm guessing we are missing the configuration header that goes at address 0x400 ?

Is that included in the uboot that gets built? If not, is there a tool that is used to build this configuration header information?

Once this configuration header is generated, does one just pre-pend it to the u-boot image and then load it at address 0x400?

Also, is there some canned QSPI u-boot image for this evaluation board available so we can verify the process of writing/booting the QSPI without worrying about our built image?

Thanks for any pointers/help.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bruce

right, configuration header should be written at address 0x400

Main programming tool is MFG Toos, check its scripts

mfgtool2-yocto-mx-sabresd-qspi-nor-mx25l51245g.vbs,

mfgtool2-yocto-mx-sabresd-qspi-nor-n25q256a.vbs

configuration files in /fies folder

qspi-nor-micron-n25q256a-config, qspi-nor-spansion-s25fl128s-config

Programmers (Flash, etc.) (9)

IMX6_L3.14.52_MFG_TOOL (REV L3.14.52_1.1.0)

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-process...

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

bap3ball
Contributor III

Thanks Igor,

So downloaded and looked through suggested files.

Experimenting, it appears I can run the qspi-header.sh script to generate an ascii qspi header file:

./qspi-header.sh qspi-nor-micron-n25q256a-config

That creates a qspi-tmp file, that I suppose I can convert to a binary file for loading into the QSPI at address 0x400.

Is that correct?

If so, then I load my qspi configured u-boot image at 0x1000?

Do any of the *.imx files in this tree represent a bootable qspi u-boot image including header for the SoloX Sabre board?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bruce

right, also some example can be found on 

Re: iMX6SX QSPI boot

I do not think that there is qspi u-boot image including header.

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos