Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX6 SATA intermittent in linux if enabled in u-boot

Jump to solution
mikigrof-tisza
Contributor II

Hi,

I'm working on a custom board that boots u-boot from nand and then loads uImage/RFS from SATA(normal) or nand(fallback).  We're just ramping up production, and we're seeing that in about 1-2% of the units the SATA drive is only present/connected in u-boot.  On those units the SATA drive device is never detected in linux.  We have over 200 units where this problem doesn't show up.

I've commented out the sata calls in u-boot such that it's never initialized in u-boot, and then even on those "bad" units the SATA drive is seen in linux.  So it seems like u-boot is leaving the SATA subsystem in a state that linux can't always continue from.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on here?

We're using kernel 3.0.101 (w/NXP patches), iMX6Q, sata drive: Micron M600 MTFDDAK128MBF, and u-boot 2013.10

-Miki

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mikigrof-tisza
Contributor II

The problem ended up being that we missed parts of a patch file.  Our custom board file was missing the changes referred to in discussion: Nitrogen6x and SATA HD .  The patch is "ENGR00296249 sata: cr-rst workaround sata phy link issues".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mikigrof-tisza
Contributor II

The problem ended up being that we missed parts of a patch file.  Our custom board file was missing the changes referred to in discussion: Nitrogen6x and SATA HD .  The patch is "ENGR00296249 sata: cr-rst workaround sata phy link issues".

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Miki

reason may be that this uboot is not from NXP/FSL release,

refer to attached MX_6_Linux_3.0.101_4.1.1_Patch_Release_Notes.pdf:

it uses u-boot-v2009.08.

Board Support Packages (32)

i.MX 6Quad, i.MX 6Dual, i.MX 6DualLite, i.MX 6Solo and i.MX 6Sololite Linux BSP Source Code Files (REV L3.0.101_4.1.1.)

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-process...

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos