cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS in KEA-128

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Can anyone say me how to set the ICS module registers for making the system clock run at 24 Mhz in KEA-128?

Labels (1)
25 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

we can use FEI mode to generate 24M bus clock.

with 37.5khz internal clock, ICSOUT can generate 48Mhz output. ICSOUT=37.5k*1280=48Mhz

according to below clock diagram, we can set DIV1 as 1 to divide ICSOUT by 2, thus generated system/core clock is 48/2=24Mhz

thus we can set SIM_CLKDIV=0x11100000.

with above code, system/core clock is 48/2=24Mhz, bus clock=48/2/2=12Mhz. I made a demo under KDS3.0. see attached.

pastedImage_0.png

can this help you?

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Thank you jennie.It provides me a basis for my understanding

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

you are welcome.

Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Jennie,

Can you send that document to my mail id.It says I don't have access to it.

0 Kudos

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Thank you Jennie :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Your code is a processor Expert one based on KDS IDE.Can you provide me a register level Example?

I have an example code for ICS module which works at 20Mhz.Can you suggest me what changes I have to do in it?

void Clk_Init()

{

ICS_C1|=ICS_C1_IRCLKEN_MASK; /* Enable the internal reference clock*/

ICS_C3= 0x90; /* Reference clock frequency = 31.25 KHz*/

while(!(ICS_S & ICS_S_LOCK_MASK));      /* Wait for PLL lock, now running at 40 MHz (1280 * 31.25Khz) */

ICS_C2|=ICS_C2_BDIV(1)  ; /*BDIV=2, Bus clock = 20 MHz*/

ICS_S |= ICS_S_LOCK_MASK ;       /* Clear Loss of lock sticky bit */

}

This is the standard Example given by KEA-128.

I want to make changes in it.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vignesh,

in my first response, I set system/core clock by setting DIV1 in SIM module

your code sets system/core clock by setting BDIV in ICS module.

Carlos is correct, you can only remove ICS_C3= 0x90; to get 24M core clock if don't consider clock Trim.

with your code, in FEI mode, FLL output 37.5k*1280=48Mhz

with this code:

ICS_C2|=ICS_C2_BDIV(1)  ; // BDIV=divide by 2

ICSOUTCLK = FLL output/2 = 48/2=24Mhz

thus with default SIM_CLKDIV value: DIV1=00, we can get system/core clock = ICSOUTCLK = 24Mhz

pastedImage_2.png

can this help you?

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Vignesh,

You can use the same initialization code but removing the following line:

ICS_C3= 0x90; /* Reference clock frequency = 31.25 KHz*/

This way the IRC frequency will be 37.5kHz, which is the factory trimmed frequency, and you will be able to achieve 48MHz as Jennie already mentioned.

ICSOUT=37.5k*1280=48Mhz

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Carlos Mendoza

Technical Support Engineer

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Carlo,

How do you say that 0x90 corresponds to 31.25 Khz IRC?

How to set values between 31.25 Khz to 39.0625 Khz???

0 Kudos

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi carlos,

I made a small change to the code.After removing the Trim value.I removed the divider also.This is the code

void Clk_Init()

{

ICS_C1|=ICS_C1_IRCLKEN_MASK; /* Enable the internal reference clock*/

while(!(ICS_S & ICS_S_LOCK_MASK));      /* Wait for PLL lock, now running at 40 MHz (1280 * 31.25Khz) */

ICS_S |= ICS_S_LOCK_MASK ;       /* Clear Loss of lock sticky bit */

}

I found that the controller is not able to flash again after running this at this clock.

Can you tell me the reason???

0 Kudos

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Vignesh,

I have tested the same code and the application is working as expected and I had no problem flashing the MCU after this.

Could you post a screenshot of the error you get?

Best Regards!

Carlos Mendoza

Technical Support Engineer

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Screenshot (1).pngHi,

That means you ran the bus clock at 48 Mhz as mine and the MCU did not find any problem.I ran my MCU in debug mode with Segger(internally SWD).Did you run this at the same way.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vignesh,

i just tested your code on my side there is no error.

normally the error you got is a target connect issue but not because of code itself. to fix it, please check:

1. if you use NXP demo board  TPK-KEA128, if no external power supply provided, please make sure J13 connect 1-2

2. not use if the  problem is because of your J-link firmware, please use attached JLink_OpenSDA_V2_1_2015-10-13.bin to update the TPK-KEA128 OpenSDA firmware.

3. attached is my testing project and video, I use KDS3.0. please refer.

can this help you?

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

I want to know how to set the trim value to vary the IRC between 31.25 kHz to 39 Khz?

I also want to know why IRC can vary between that values only?

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

there is one good article on this regard:

Yes, OSDA can trim the reference of internal clock source!

Jennie Zhang

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi jennie,

I tried accessing the aricle.It is saying unauthorized access.Can you send that article to my mail id?

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

yes, sent. please check your email box.

Jennie Zhang

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Zhang,

The article which you shared me was awsome.

So what I want to understand is that

1)Is there any Formula or Calculation For Finding the ICS_C3 value without this work around???

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

different chip has slightly different internal status, external environment for example temperature also effects ICS_C3 setting values. So I don't think there is a Formular for that. We use the calculation method in the article as I pointed.

Hope this helps!

Jennie Zhang

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Zhang,

The Article you shared in the thread says that The value of ICS_C3 changes.

ICS_C3 was trimmed to value of

0x57 for 39.062kHz and

0x9B for 31.250kHz       

But it did not Explain how 0x57 for 39.062 kHz and what will be the values for 0x60 or 0x70 ???

Can you Explain me how to choose the hex value for corresponding kHz?

For Example If suppose, I want to get 35 kHz what hex value should I choose for ICS_C3 register?

0 Kudos