How to properly initialize TPM1_CH0 for Pulse-Width Measurement of Ultrasonic Range Finder

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to properly initialize TPM1_CH0 for Pulse-Width Measurement of Ultrasonic Range Finder

exgreyfox
Contributor II

I have written some baremetal code to interface a a Ping Parallax ultrasonic range finder using interrupts but I am having some trouble properly initializing the KL25Z TPM1 for input capture. Basically I just need to measure the time between the rising edge and falling edge of the sensor output. I am using TPM1_CH0 on pin PTA12 for sensor output to the KL25Z freedomboard. I have taken the approach that Alice_Yang suggested in this thread: Re: Using of TPM to calculate pulse width in KL25Z Here is how I have initialized the hardware. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

TPM1_CH0 Initialization:

void TPM1_CH0_Timer_Capture_Init(void)

{

SIM_SCGC5 |= SIM_SCGC5_PORTA_MASK;                /* Enable clock to PORTA */

PORTA_PCR12 = PORT_PCR_MUX(3);                    /* Set Port A for TPM1CH0 input */

SIM_SCGC6 |= SIM_SCGC6_TPM1_MASK;                 /* Enable clock to TPM1 */

SIM_SOPT2 |= SIM_SOPT2_PLLFLLSEL_MASK;            /* We Want MCGPLLCLK/2 */

SIM_SOPT2 &= ~(SIM_SOPT2_TPMSRC_MASK);

SIM_SOPT2 |= SIM_SOPT2_TPMSRC(1);                 /* We want the MCGPLLCLK/2 */

TPM1_SC |= 0x00;                                  /* Blow away the control registers to ensure that the counter is not running */

TPM1_CONF |= 0x00;                                /* Blow away the control registers to ensure that the counter is not running */

TPM1_SC = TPM_SC_PS(TPM1_CLK_PRESCALE);           /* Setup prescaler to DIV by 4 */

TPM1_MOD = 0xFFFF;                                /* Set max modulo */

/* Input Capture mode rising edge interrupt first, ELSB:ELSA = 01, MSB:MSA = 00 */

TPM1_C0SC |= TPM_CnSC_CHIE_MASK | TPM_CnSC_ELSA_MASK & ~(TPM_CnSC_ELSB_MASK) & ~(TPM_CnSC_MSA_MASK) & ~(TPM_CnSC_MSB_MASK);

}

Here is the logic I plan to follow inside the FTM1_IRQHandler() I still have not implemented the handler

void FTM1_IRQHandler(void)

{

//clear channel interrupt flag

//stop timer

//check for rising or falling edge interrupt

//if rising edge interrupt

//save TPM counter value in var called rising_val

//set falling edge interrupt

//start the timer

//if falling edge interrupt

//save TPM counter value in var called falling_val

}

And the sequence of events in main:

int main(void)

{

/* Core Clock is now at 48MHz using the 8MHZ Crystal */

pll_init(8000000, LOW_POWER, CRYSTAL, 4, 24, MCGOUT); //Using Eli Highs' PLL init mcg library files

TPM1_CH0_Timer_Capture_Init();

Init_PORTA();

for(;;) {

// logic here gives the range finder the start pulse it needs

GPIOA_PDDR |=  GPIO_PTA1_LOC;           /* make PortA_1 an output */

GPIO_PTA2_HIGH;                         /* PTA2 HIGH for A to B Level Shifter DIR */

GPIO_PTA1_HIGH;

DelayUs_NoIRQ(5);                       /* delay 5us */

GPIO_PTA1_LOW;

DelayUs_NoIRQ(300);                     /* delay 300us */

GPIOA_PDDR &= ~GPIO_PTA1_LOC;           /* make PortA_1 an input */

GPIO_PTA2_LOW;                          /* PTA2 LOW for B to A Level Shifter DIR */

// Logic here handles the IRQ and pulse width measurement

enable_irq (INT_TPM1-16);               /* Enable Timer1 interrupt in NVIC */

TPM1_SC |= TPM_SC_CMOD(1);              /* Enable the TPM1_CH0 Timer */

DelayMs_NoIRQ(19);                      /* delay 19ms */

disable_irq (INT_TPM1-16);              /* Disable Timer1 interrupt in NVIC */

val = falling_edge_val - rising_edge_val;   /* Save captured pulse width value */

}

return 0;

}

Is there anything wrong with how I've initialized my TPM1_CH0 capture input for TPM1? Thank you for any assitance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There is a tutorial how to use the TPM for measuring ultrasonic echo signals, see Tutorial: Ultrasonic Ranging with the Freedom Board

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi exgreyfox,

I find you also have anther post about the TPM1_CH0 question  which already be solved, so please refer to your anther post: How do I detect both rising and falling edge interrupt with input capture?

If you still have question, please contact with me!

Besides, if your input PWM wave is fast, I suggest you use two capture pin instead of just one capture pin.

Wish it helps you!
Have a great day,
Jingjing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos