cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX6 - Impact of CPU frequency on GC2000 frequency

sylvainlehenaff
Contributor III

Hello community,

I am currently working with the IMX6 on a graphic project and I have some question regarding the behavior of the GPU wrt to the ARM part of the IMX6.

When I deploy a graphical application at various ARM frequency (792MHz, 996MHz, 1.2GHz) the time needed to compute the graphic is reduced but the frame rate doesn't changed.

I am kind of stuck around 50Hz and I cannot managed to go higher. The ARM can go faster but the GPU is not following...Graphic part representing around 5ms on the ARM, I would expect a much higher frame rate.

Is there an impact of the ARM frequency on the GPU frequency ?

I have observed this on a sabre lite (Yocto 3.10.53 with galcore v5.x) and on a SMARC from Kontron (Yocto 3.10.17 with galcore v4.9x)

Regards

Sylvain

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

HI sylvain

gpu works independently from cpu and its frequency

does not affect gpu performance. 50Hz is quite decent figure,

limit may be caused by ddr/buses bandwidth,

also some performance figures can be found on

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-93612

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

sylvainlehenaff
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

I have done some bench on the IMX6, but i still not happy by the GPU.

With a simple application using a loop {Draw,glush , swap} The refresh rate seems limited to a 45-50Hz altough the "draw" performed by the ARM is less than 3ms.

It is true that if I change the frequency of the ARM, the value for the draw is reduced (but the frame rate does not change), this confirm your answer.

But, I still don't undersatnd why a simple application taking 3ms on the ARM cannot go higher than 50Hz ?

The application is running at 800x600 on ES2.0, so it should be OK for any issue regarding the bandwidth....

regards,

Sylvain

0 Kudos