cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kboot Flash Resident As I2C Master

Jump to solution
alex323qp
Contributor III

Hi, is there any example of how to use KBOOT v1.2 in i2c master mode? The idea is to read the new binary program from an i2c EEPROM.

Thanks,

Alex.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Alexander Agudelo:

Unfortunately there is no example of using KBOOT in I2C master mode. Only I2C device mode is supported using blhost tool together with another MCU as bus translator (BusPal).

Actually if using I2C in master mode by reading from an EEPROM then it should be easier to implement your own bootloader instead of reusing KBOOT, which is a very complex firmware due to the support of all the interfaces and configurations.

You do not mention the Kinetis part you have but basically you need 2 things:

1) EEPROM I2C low level driver. Some references:

Driver for Microchip 24xx Serial EEPROM | MCU on Eclipse

KSDK I2C EEPROM Example

2) Flash erase/write routines. You can use standalone C90TFS or the same driver but integrated with KSDK.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Alexander Agudelo:

Unfortunately there is no example of using KBOOT in I2C master mode. Only I2C device mode is supported using blhost tool together with another MCU as bus translator (BusPal).

Actually if using I2C in master mode by reading from an EEPROM then it should be easier to implement your own bootloader instead of reusing KBOOT, which is a very complex firmware due to the support of all the interfaces and configurations.

You do not mention the Kinetis part you have but basically you need 2 things:

1) EEPROM I2C low level driver. Some references:

Driver for Microchip 24xx Serial EEPROM | MCU on Eclipse

KSDK I2C EEPROM Example

2) Flash erase/write routines. You can use standalone C90TFS or the same driver but integrated with KSDK.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
alex323qp
Contributor III

Thanks Jorge,

I see your point about using my own bootloader.

0 Kudos