cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM KL05z to program KL04 USBDM

anhkhoadang
Contributor I

Hi all,

I am using a FRDM KL05z (eval board) to program a custom board with the KL04. I've configured the FRDM board to operate as a external device programmer/debugger utilizing USBDM OpenSDA files. Whenever I make my connections from the FRDM KL05z board the Flash Programmer tool (from USBDM) sees the device, but cannot program it. I am getting an error message: Programming of the Target Flash Fails. Is there a particular reason for this behavior?

pastedImage_0.png

The USBDM Flash Programmer sees the device as presented below:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Anhkhoa,

Unfortunately the FRDM-KL05 has a hardware design bug that renders the external programming interface useless unless modified.

I think that this may have been fixed in a later board revision.

J6 as shown in the following diagram disconnects SWD_CLK (a signal from the programmer) from the external connector - It should just isolate the on-board processor.

pastedImage_0.png

There are three solutions:

1. Use a different Freedom board - I recommend the KL25 as it is cheap (preferred)
  2. Make hardware mods to the board - See this discussion OpenSDA on FRDM-KL05 debug external processor
  3. Download the attached file to the on-board KL05 chip
    • WARNING
    • WARNING This will make it difficult to re-program the on-board chip as it disables all the SWD pins (including reset) on the on-board target KL05
    • WARNING  To regain use tie A5 low before plugging in the board - the program will mass-erase itself.
      WARNING Do this at your own risk
    • WARNING

bye

0 Kudos