Getting started with a K20 device

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with a K20 device

ken_sloat
Contributor II

Hello everybody. I'm new to freescale microcontrollers and working on a new project with a K20 72MHz device. I bought a FRDM-K20D50M board which I know isn't produced anymore by Freescale. I know the K20 itself is not currently supported by the SDK but am wondering about which is the closest supported device to this one that I can start a project with and what basic modifications would be needed to port it to this device. I'm guessing it's the K22 but wanted to ask here. I'm planning on using Kinetis Design Studio as well. Just looking for a good starting point for this part, especially since I will be utilizing USB so I would like to find some good code base to start.

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Kenneth,

I attach the SDK Migration Custom Chip guide which explains how to port KSDK to a not supported MCU.

The closest supported chip to the MK20DX128VLH5 which is the MCU in the FRDM-K20D50M is the MK20D10.

Best regards,

Earl.

0 Kudos

ken_sloat
Contributor II

Are there any real major differences between the MK20D10 and MK20D72? It would be a lot of effort for me to go through the entire reference manual to match all of the registers especially considering the header files contain over 15,000 lines of code. I'm just wondering what are the major differences between these two so I can focus on the specific things I need to modify or if I can just change the names and use that.

I'm really looking for some good code examples to get started, especially with USB. If I'm not going to use the SDK, how do most other people get started with this device? I know there is processor expert, but that doesn't contain any USB stack code.

0 Kudos

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Kenneth,

we have created tools, which shows you differences between selected MCUs.
If you don´t want to look at the datasheet for the information, you can use for the comparison

Kinetis Product Selector​ nebo Freescale Product Selector

Or if you have specific requirements for the chip, you can try

Solution Advisor Product Selector|Freescale

But definitely, MK20D50 has 50MHz frequency, MK20D10 has 100MHz and MK20D72 has 72MHz frequency.

Also there are differences with processors.

For more specific comparison is always better to come with concrete part numbers, like compare i.g. MK20DX128VLK7 vs MK20DX256VLH7.

Please, tell us concrete part number and I can tell you exact differences.

How to start with USB Stack?

• migrate the code for unsupported MCU - but you must use datasheet and reference manual, you need create board configuration files for your device.
  • buy supported device and use KSDK examples, i.g. FRDM-K64F

I hope it helps you.

Best Regards,

Iva

ken_sloat
Contributor II

My project specifically will be using is the MK20DX256VLH7. Seems like from your options above that this device has poor support from Freescale (from a code example standpoint that is). Are there any plans in the near future to add the MK20 72Mhz devices to the KSDK? Is there any roadmap for the SDK?

0 Kudos

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Kenneth Sloat,

unfortunately no. I don´t see support for future KSDK.

At the moment we support for K20 Sub-Family MCUs 100Hz:

MK20DN512VLK10, MK20DN512VLL10, MK20DN512VLQ10, MK20DN512VMC10, MK20DN512VMD10, MK20DX128VLQ10, MK20DX128VMD10, MK20DX256VLK10, MK20DX256VLQ10, MK20DX256VMC10, MK20DX256VMD10, MK20DX256VLL10

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos