How do you force PEx to be totally C++ compatible?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you force PEx to be totally C++ compatible?

Jump to solution
dave408
Senior Contributor II

Now that KSDK 1.2 is supposedly C++ compatible, I'd like to move my applications to C++.  However, every time I generate code in PEx, it creates a C file instead of a CPP.  Is there a setting somewhere?  I've been looking around for any setting that might tell PEx that I want to make a C++ project, but I can't find one.  For example, this is all I see in Project Settings -> Processor Expert:

pastedImage_0.png

I haven't really ever mixed C and C++ before.  I am entirely in one language or the other.  I would think that *everything* has to change, not just main.  Since my tasks are intended to communicate with hardware via classes that I define, and since the tasks need to then be written in C++, that means all code that PEx generates (except the FSL HAL/DRV code) like MQX tasks also need to be generated as C++.

Has anyone here successfully created a KSDK/MQX/PEx C++ project that they can share as an example?  There isn't anything like this in the installed demos and examples.  I did find this post here Creating a new MQX project using GCC C++ that specifically talks about MQX and CodeWarrior, and I found the BSPCFG_ENABLE_CPP #define and changed it, but it didn't seem to change anything.

Tags (4)
1 Solution
dave408
Senior Contributor II

Through experimentation, it looks like you do not need to jump through the same hoops as described by past posts.  I believe it boils down to renaming main.c and os_tasks.c, then regenerating code and then excluding those same .c files from the build.

Transitioning to C++ with KDS, KSDK, and Processor Expert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marek_neuzil
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dave,

The Processor Expert does not support generating C++ code (.cpp program modules). There is not any C++ options.

But you can use the generated code in your C++ applications (the generated code of drivers should be C++ compatible). See the following links for details (workarounds):

Use of Processor expert for a CPP project - Issue

Processor Expert, gcc C++ and Kinetis-L with MQXLite | MCU on Eclipse

Best Regards,

Marek Neuzil

dave408
Senior Contributor II

Hi Marek, thank you for your response.  I am okay with PEx not generating CPP files.  The plan is to just write C++ wrappers.  My main issue is specifically with MQX, and how I can enable my main.cpp to start MQX properly.  I suppose the correct approach is to define as many tasks upfront as I believe are required (and maybe a couple of extra), then use PEx to generate the code, then do the MQX-specific instructions that BlackNight​ has recommended in the post you linked to (especially disabling of code generation).  Thank you for your help!

By the way, would you mind taking a peek at my other question, which you had assisted me with in the past?  I am having trouble figuring out where my problem is.  lwIP project that was working in KDS 2.0 with MQX and PEx no longer works in KDS 3.0

0 Kudos
dave408
Senior Contributor II

Through experimentation, it looks like you do not need to jump through the same hoops as described by past posts.  I believe it boils down to renaming main.c and os_tasks.c, then regenerating code and then excluding those same .c files from the build.

Transitioning to C++ with KDS, KSDK, and Processor Expert

0 Kudos