cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fsl_gpio Best Practice?

Jump to solution
audi_mcavoy
Contributor IV

Using PE, it seems I should add one copy of fsl_gpio for each port I want to use.  In fact, the tabs view of the Component Inspector has a drop-down list where I can pick a port.

22275_22275.pngfsl_gpio.png

But, it doesn't seem to work this way.  Adding a second fsl_gpio component causes errors (which seems to be directly related to the Device selection).

Turning off the tabs view doesn't help -- it just hides the Device option.

So for right now, I have all of my GPIO configured in one instance of fsl_gpio.  It can be a little awkward, the pins are scattered around multiple ports.  Some of the pins are accessed individually.  Some are accessed in groups.

Is this the best approach?  Is there a better way?

How are you handling your GPIO?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Audi McAvoy:

Short answer: You only need one fsl_gpio component.

The drop down list should not be there, this will be fixed, we are sorry about this. For a detailed discussion check the next thread:

Re: GPIO in PEx is so bizarre...

And also a very short video I posted:

Video Link : 3195

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think the pull down shouldn't be there and as you have found it doesn't affect the code.

Will check to see if fixed for next revision.

Regards,

David

Sent from my iPhone

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Audi McAvoy:

Short answer: You only need one fsl_gpio component.

The drop down list should not be there, this will be fixed, we are sorry about this. For a detailed discussion check the next thread:

Re: GPIO in PEx is so bizarre...

And also a very short video I posted:

Video Link : 3195

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
audi_mcavoy
Contributor IV

First, excellent video.  Thank you!

Second, my real problem is two-fold.  I didn't know there was a Processor Expert "space" in the community because, (on the welcome page) I never looked past the big shiny buttons on the "Community Spaces" section to notice there even was a "More Spaces" section!  So I was always looking in the Kinetis Microcontrollers space for answers.

Also, once inside the Kinetis Microcontrollers space I always searched in the big "Ask Kinetis Microcontrollers" box (where it says "type your question").  Not the tiny search bubble near the upper right.  If I type "fsl_gpio" in the big box, I get no results(!).  If I use the tiny bubble, I get multiple hits.

Lesson learned.  Don't even select a space from the home page.  Just use the tiny search bubble.

Thanks!

0 Kudos