Why won't KDS 2.0 work with PE properly?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't KDS 2.0 work with PE properly?

Jump to solution
bosleymusic_com
Contributor IV

I'm sure there is some detail in some sub-document somewhere that I must be missing, so I'm hoping that someone has had this problem and can point me in the right direction, although I couldn't find any threads directly related.

KDS won't let me update anything, so I'm under the assumption that everything is the correct version.

I have the PE for SDK and K22F/K32F update installed.

21149_21149.jpgInstalled.jpg

SDK is built, and I have been able to build demos provided I don't copy their contents into my workspace - if I do that, it's a nightmare of incorrect file paths despite updating the environment variable. Lastly, I have also installed Erich Styger's most recent PE components from Sourceforge.

The new project dialogue won't let me use both a freedom k22 board, and PE. It refuses to generate the project, so I select just the processor, and this is the result :

21150_21150.jpgErrors.jpg

So it appears that the components are out of date for my version of SDK? Do I need to roll back to regular 1.1? Do I want to bother? Answer to the second one is not really, since I finally have programs and debugging working properly. If I try to change to a different processor, I still get the same type of error.

Any solutions or thoughts?

- Don.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Donald Bosley,

Let me try to clarify some of your doubts:

- fsl_xxx are KSDK components/drivers/files etc, while LDD are the classic or legacy Processor Expert components. There are some discussions about this topic that will help you understand:

Re: How do I merge PEx components from PEx DriverSuite into KDS/SDK?

Re: KSDK and the old PEx (non-KSDK) compatibility

Re: MQX vs MQX Lite?

- The K22F/KV31F patch is not for Kinetis SDK, I guess the name is a mistake, our apologies for that. That plug-in actually brings LDD components support for the latest K22F parts (there are legacy and new K22F parts, as mentioned in Kinetis K22_120 MHz devices).

- The first of the red arrows in your picture points to an older version of KSDK Eclipse Update (v1.0.0). This Update was for Kinetis Design Studio v1.1.x. For KDS v2.0.0 you should download the latest KSDK v1.1.0 and install the corresponding Eclipse Update available at KSDK folder:

C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.1.0\tools\eclipse_update\

If after installing the latest Eclipse Update you still have issues, then I would start from a fresh KDS v2.0.0 and just install the K22F package together with the KSDK v1.1.0 Update.

Below you can see my current installation:

pastedImage_3.png

As you can see both plug-ins are installed and I have no issues.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Don,

I think the short answer is PE only works with KSDK for the newer Kinetis devices with access to fsl_<peripheral> Components.

If you were to select a K60 device, then the older version of PE will work and have access to LDD Components.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
bosleymusic_com
Contributor IV

I don't totally understand.

I'm using K22F51212 : when I look at the files available under the Debug/platform library (which has been built), every peripheral's .d and .o files are proceeded by fsl...? Under /platform/drivers... every .c and .h file also uses fsl_<peripheral>... Why is the nomenclature of the peripherals for the device "fsl", and according to your answer I don't understand why my device would then be incompatible? Especially given that there is a specific plug-in for K22F (see red arrow above) called "Processor Expert Kinetis SDK Support."

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Donald Bosley,

Let me try to clarify some of your doubts:

- fsl_xxx are KSDK components/drivers/files etc, while LDD are the classic or legacy Processor Expert components. There are some discussions about this topic that will help you understand:

Re: How do I merge PEx components from PEx DriverSuite into KDS/SDK?

Re: KSDK and the old PEx (non-KSDK) compatibility

Re: MQX vs MQX Lite?

- The K22F/KV31F patch is not for Kinetis SDK, I guess the name is a mistake, our apologies for that. That plug-in actually brings LDD components support for the latest K22F parts (there are legacy and new K22F parts, as mentioned in Kinetis K22_120 MHz devices).

- The first of the red arrows in your picture points to an older version of KSDK Eclipse Update (v1.0.0). This Update was for Kinetis Design Studio v1.1.x. For KDS v2.0.0 you should download the latest KSDK v1.1.0 and install the corresponding Eclipse Update available at KSDK folder:

C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.1.0\tools\eclipse_update\

If after installing the latest Eclipse Update you still have issues, then I would start from a fresh KDS v2.0.0 and just install the K22F package together with the KSDK v1.1.0 Update.

Below you can see my current installation:

pastedImage_3.png

As you can see both plug-ins are installed and I have no issues.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

bosleymusic_com
Contributor IV

Well said, and thank you for the threads. I'll read up. I had tried to update that multiple times via web, and it said it was the most up to date version, so I followed the absolute path you recommended. Lo and behold, it's updated.

0 Kudos