KDS new release

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDS new release

piergiovannigor
Contributor II

Is a new KDS release with features similar to CodeWarrior 10.6 planned ?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi PierGiovanni,

which particular feature are you missing?

Erich

0 Kudos

piergiovannigor
Contributor II

HI Erich,

one and probably the most important is the visualization of the values of memory locations, registers and periferal registers while the programm is running.

Without this feature in most cases the debug is difficult or impossible due to the interaction of the software to the real world, es. reaction to external events.

PierGiovanni

0 Kudos

piergiovannigor
Contributor II

Hi Erich,

I follow "MCU on Eclipse", a place to find many interesting things.

Time ago I have installed the software you suggest, but may be i have something not clear or i have a limitation on the hardware used for the test ( a Freedom K64F board),so  i can see the updated values of memory and registers only after a breakpoint.

In this way i can debug in the lab the flow of the software, but in the field i can't stop the machine or the controlled process.

To tune for example the parameters for a PID regulator i must add to the software a way to display in a terminal the data of my interest.

KDS has also some noisy features: The debugger starts slowly, some settings of the perspective are lost when the debugger is closed.

CW classic IDE is fast, user friendly; what are the advantegs of Eclipse ?

PierGiovanni

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi PierGiovanni,

so then you have probably already seen http://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/09/28/comparing-codewarrior-with-kinetis-design-studio/.

If you need to monitor variables/memory while the target is running, then you can use this: Tutorial: FreeMASTER Visualization and Run-Time Debugging | MCU on Eclipse

The advantage of Eclipse is that it is an open source framwork, and Kinetis Design Studio is complimentary/free of charge and without any limitations.

It is extensible, open source and maintained by a big community, providing plugins and solutions for nearly any needs.

Erich

0 Kudos

piergiovannigor
Contributor II

Hi Erich,

thank you for thr suggestion; soon I will try it.

PierGiovanni

0 Kudos

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

KDS is a free, basic tool IDE option for Kinetis. The next release v3.0.0 will include new Kinetis part support and fix the know problems.

The post below could be helpful for user to learn KDS features.

https://community.freescale.com/thread/322463

Fiona Kuang

Technical Information & Commercial Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos