MQX with or without PE?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MQX with or without PE?

davepfaltzgraff
Senior Contributor I

For background, my specific interest is in being able to use the full complement of KSD, KDSK, PE, and MQX to be able to get the most out of the Kinetis collaboration. In particular to be able to take advantage of things like the filesystem, USB, and Ethernet.

So far, I have found two examples of KSD and MQX. The first was in exploring the full combination and learning how to define tasks for MQX. My experience can be found at Defining tasks using Processor Expert where DavidS showed me what I was doing wrong. The basic situation to me was that the supporting documentation just isn't up to the current release.

Then later, I found the example at Creating a New MQX RTOS for KSDK Project in KDS. However, this does not use PE. It was a cookbook approach and I was able to get it to run and can build on it. However, this doesn't use the PE. To me this is almost the classical approach of having to reference the manuals for all the details while trying each step.

So my question right now is one for general discussion. I am interested in feedback from both aspects of the Community - Freescale employees and users. In looking to the future, which approach would be more productive and why?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

adriancano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I will try to give you some points to have in mind. I cannot tell which option is better, since it will depend on your own requirements and considerations.

Using MQX with Processor Expert:

• PEx used along with the KSDK drivers is different from PEx with the classic LDD drivers. You can see a better explanation HERE.
  • As is mentioned in the link above the PEx component configuration will help you to create the configuration structures that are used in the KSDK drivers. In this case the configuration is easier, but how and when to use the KSDK drivers is your task.
  • You can add the MQX component and you can the tasks using PEx How To: Create an MQX RTOS project with Processor Expert in Kinetis Design Studio IDE. PEx will help to configure the correct parameter of the tasks and will add the support for the new tasks in the MQX_template_list.
  • Processor expert adds the support for your project, in this case the paths are added by Processor Expert.

Using MQX without Processor Expert.

• As you can see in the document Creating a New MQX RTOS for KSDK Project in KDS the paths and the creation of new task support is handled by the user.
  • The configuration structure for the peripherals used by the KSDK drivers are handled by the user. Just as the MQX+PEx projects the use of the KSDK drivers are managed by the user.

In conclusion PEx will help you to configure the peripherals with a Graphic environment, but, it does not have a direct impact in the use of the Operating System or the KSDK peripheral drivers performance. The option of your choice is up to your considerations.

Hope this information can help you

Best Regards,
Adrian Sanchez Cano
Technical Support Engineer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

F50SC
Contributor III

Hi Adrian

In addition to David's questions.....I have followed the steps in "How To: Create a New MQX RTOS for KSDK Project in KDS" and successfully compiled a new project.

How can I now include various drivers to this project without PE?

Do I need to add the includes & library search paths manually in compiler settings for the project? Then add include files in the source code?

In CW 10.6 with MQX, the process to add new functions of MQX was to modify user_config.h, re-compile MQX libraries and add include file to source if required. ie #include "lwsem.h" or "lwevents"

There was no manual process to add search paths or includes in the compiler settings.

I'd like to add USB CDC driver to my project that I've just created with "How To: Create a New MQX RTOS for KSDK Project in KDS" but am unsure what the proper steps are to achieve this?

Can anyone give some simple steps to follow?

Some more In depth How to Guides from Freescale would be helpful especially to do with custom hardware......the focus of most of the documentation with KSDK is centered on development boards.

Also How To: Create a New MQX RTOS for KSDK Project in KDS is not included with the KSDK install.

Thanks in advance.

Update: To incude an OS, you must goto Components Library> Categories (tab) > Operating Systems > .....

MQX can then be selected. Although it doesn't show other RTOSs such as FreeRTOS or uCOS, not sure why??

0 Kudos

adriancano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Most of the questions you have are answered in this document .Please take a look at the document.

I hope this information can help you.

Best Regards,
Adrian Sanchez Cano
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

davepfaltzgraff
Senior Contributor I

Hi Adrian,

Does the fact that the referenced article does NOT mention "processor expert" once imply that going MQX without PE is the way to go? (The only occurrence of the word "expert" happens in the caveats section at the end.)

I should comment that I found the article to be very good and will probably be referencing if from time to time.

Thanks

0 Kudos

adriancano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Yes, the complete document is referring to a NOT PE project. You can see there the paths that need to be included in the project settings, this is the way you need to do it when PE is not used, because PE automatically add the necessary paths in the project settings.

Best Regards,
Adrian Sanchez Cano

0 Kudos