KL26 register definitions for GCC, compatible with Free (GPL) software ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KL26 register definitions for GCC, compatible with Free (GPL) software ?

Jump to solution
werneralmesberg
Contributor II

I'm looking for register definitions for the Kinetis KL26 for use in an "old-school" GCC-based (no IDE, just plain Makefiles) project. The project is Free software (GPL), so that file would have to be covered by a compatible license.

I found a "bare-metal" MKL25Z4.h that worked well enough to get started, but I'm now beginning to run into subtle incompatibilities between KL25 and KL26, and I'd like to make sure I don't waste time chasing problems just caused by using the wrong definitions.

The MKL25Z4.h I found also comes with unclear licensing terms ("All Rights Reserved" by Freescale, without further details), so I shouldn't use this anyway.

Does Freescale happen to provide a header file that meets these criteria ? If not, has anyone written one ?

Thanks,

- Werner

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Werner,

I found the header files out of KSDK have BSD licensed, so these header files should satisfy your condition. Please refer to Software Development Kit for Kinetis MCUs|Freescale for details.

**     Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,

**     are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

**     o Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list

**       of conditions and the following disclaimer.

**     o Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this

**       list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or

**       other materials provided with the distribution.

**     o Neither the name of Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. nor the names of its

**       contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this

**       software without specific prior written permission.

**     THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND

**     ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED

**     WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE

**     DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR

**     ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES

**     (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;

**     LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON

**     ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT

**     (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS

**     SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
werneralmesberg
Contributor II

Some progress: I found a MKL26Z4.h in FRDM-KL26Z_SC (see https://community.freescale.com/thread/308322), which confirmed and resolved the subtle incompatibility issue (addresses of otherwise compatible SPI registers have been slightly changed between KL25 and KL26).

However, the only mention of terms of use or redistribution I could find regarding this file is still just the "All Rights Reserved", so the question of how (or whether) to use the file without risking an unpleasant encounter with Freescale's legal team still remains. In the case of my project, this is particularly important because I expect the sources to be copied and reused quite a lot, and it would be irresponsible of me to plant this sort of legal trap into the code.

Any comments ? How have others handled this issue ?

Thanks,

- Werner

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Werner,

I found the header files out of KSDK have BSD licensed, so these header files should satisfy your condition. Please refer to Software Development Kit for Kinetis MCUs|Freescale for details.

**     Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,

**     are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

**     o Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list

**       of conditions and the following disclaimer.

**     o Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this

**       list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or

**       other materials provided with the distribution.

**     o Neither the name of Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. nor the names of its

**       contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this

**       software without specific prior written permission.

**     THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND

**     ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED

**     WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE

**     DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR

**     ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES

**     (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;

**     LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON

**     ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT

**     (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS

**     SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
werneralmesberg
Contributor II

This is exactly what I was looking for ! KSDK does not contain register definitions specifically for the KL26, but is has them for the KL46. A comparison of MKL46Z4.h with the MKL26Z4.h I already had showed them to be basically identical, except that the KL46 also has an LCD controller. So the KL46 definitions work perfectly for the KL26, too.

Thanks a lot !

- Werner

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Werner,

I am checking with Apps team on this issue, will get back to you when I have any more information.

Thanks for your patience!

Have a great day,
Kan

0 Kudos