cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx6 SabreSD, Linaro/Oneiric/Ubuntu, and Yocto

SteveRathjen
Contributor III

Hi All,

I've built fsl-image-gui using Yocto (Dora? Dylan?) for my custom board and now would like to, for demo purposes, run Ubuntu (Linaro or Oneiric??) on my board... but don't want to spend too much time (not getting paid for it!).  I've seen a few post on how to install on a SD but I've not had much success (nor spent much time on it).  It would be REALLY COOL to have Ubuntu running on my custom device! 

I have a SABRESDB too, custom board is based off that, so let's start there (I do build a custom uboot for my board):

Questions:

Do I need to install LTIB?  Can I run LTIB on Ubuntu 12.04 (PC)?  I see conflicting posts on whether this is possible.  What about 14.04?

Is there a premade image for Ubuntu/Linaro/Oneiric that will run on the SabreSDB?

Can I build a Ubuntu/Linaro/Oneiric image (.sdcard file) using Yocto?  Or at least part of it?  Kernel?

Is Yocto now official Freescale 'ware' or is LTIB?  My product release is coming soon, I've gone down the Yocto road until now...

Thanks!

Steve

0 Kudos
5 Replies

SteveRathjen
Contributor III

I managed to get Ubuntu running using Yocto and my custom uboot for my PCB.  I don't know if it's correct or just a hack, and still not perfect, but a good start.  Oh, and is there any way FOR ME to change the "assumed answered' status on this thread??

Here's the steps (from my notes) - I'd still like to figure out how to install apps via Ubuntu Software center and/or "apt-get", and also upgrade it to 12.04 or newer. .. see ISSUES at end of post.

-----

Started with a yocto SD card (fsl-image-gui - 3.0.35?) inserted into PC (Ubuntu 12.04)
Gparted SD's 1GB partition to 16GB (at least 4GB?) and format (erase (ext3 or ext4?))

d/l oneiric.tgz from freescale.com -

(SD card is at /dev/sdh in this example!!!)

sudo mkdir /mnt/hd
sudo mount /dev/sdh2 /mnt/hd
cd /mnt/hd
sudo tar --numeric-owner -xzvf ~/Downloads/oneiric.tgz
.. waiting...
cd ~
sudo umount /dev/sdh2

NOTE
    The option "--numeric-owner" may be unavailable if you
    use busybox. Because this option is mandatory, make sure
    that you use the full blown version of tar.

Boot with oneiric rootfs. The password is linaro in case you cannot log in with the
linaro user name and without password.

ALL COMMANDS BELOW HERE ARE EXECUTED ON THE HARDWARE

Install the FSL packages on the target. You should already have copied all the *.deb
files that come along with the released BSP to the target board. The deb files of each
release can be located in the demo image package:

JUMP DOWN--->>>
get error on :sudo dpkg \--force-architecture \-i *.deb
fix ?:
cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
sudo dpkg \--force-architecture \-i *.deb
.. waiting ...
sudo depmod
WARNING: Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/3.0.35-4.1.0+yocto+gbdde708: No such file or directory
FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/3.0.35-4.1.0+yocto+gbdde708/modules.dep.temp for writing: No such file or directory
ls /lib/modules/
3.0.35-2666-gbdde708
hmmm... stopped here

copy /lib/modules/3.0.35-2666-gbdde708 to /lib/modules/3.0.35-4.1.0+yocto+gbdde708 ??
OR link, OR rename/move?

>>>> TO HERE (this fix worked, but is it right???)
MADE LINK:
cd /lib/modules
ln -s 3.0.35-2666-gbdde708/ 3.0.35-4.1.0+yocto+gbdde708
date
hwclock
date --set="10 Sept 2014 5:19:00"
hwclock --systohc
cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
sudo dpkg \--force-architecture \-i *.deb
.. waiting ...
sudo depmod
sync
sudo halt
>>> SYSTEM RESETS

To reserve the DMA buffer for video playback, ensure that the /proc/sys/vm/
lowmem_reserve_ratio value is 1. This setting can be added into /etc/rc.local:
echo 1 1 > /proc/sys/vm/lowmem_reserve_ratio

11.10 is running at this point!! 
u:linaro p:linaro

STILL ISSUES...
'do_release_upgrade' took about 3 hours then failed.. set clock first?
ubuntu software center doesn't seem to install anything.  VLC?  QLandKarte?

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think it would be better to create (new) separate thread regarding new questions / inssues.

~Yuri

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The most simple way - to use demo image :

$ sudo dd if=fsl-image-gui-imx6qsabresd.sdcard of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

Task #4 - Deploy and test

Also the next thread may be helpful :

Re: i.MX6Q-SDB board bringup with Linux

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

SteveRathjen
Contributor III

Thanks Yuri.  Let me clarify, I already have the fsl-image-gui running with no problem... both on SabreSDB and my custom PCB.  Fsl-image-gui is QT desktop, correct? 

What I want to do now is run Ubuntu, either Linaro or Oneiric, on the SabreSDB, and then ultimately on my custom PCB.

Similar to:

Re: Re: ubuntu oneiric on i.mx6 SABRE-SD board - Do I need LTIB to do this?  see questions from original post..

http://boundarydevices.com/linaro-12-09-for-i-mx6/ - What boards will this work on?  SabreSDB?

Boards/MX6QSabreLite - Linaro Wiki - SabreLite.. what about SabreSDB?

I've tried all of these with no success.  Not really sure where to start.  It looks like it is possible.

Steve

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Steve,

The recent BSP contains fsl-image-x11 demo image.
Note, the meta-fsl-qt5 layer is not enabled for default builds. Please use README
in documentation package how to work with QT.

As for ubuntu oneiric ( L3.0.35_4.1.0) - it is needed to use LTIB if the demo image
in itself is not enough (say, it kernel should be rebuilt).

The SabteLite board is not Freescale's one and - strictly speaking - it is not supported
in recent Freescale BSPs.

~Yuri.

0 Kudos