cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX53 GPU - Very bad performance

santiagoperez
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm testing the imX53 GPU to accelerate my Qt applications but it is working really slow: 14fps for the es11ex test and 6fps for the Qt4.8.5 hellogl2_demo.

I reinstall ltib in the VmWare machine, install with the docs and this post (Building Qt for i.MX5x) as referene with no luck. The gpu is enabled, the driver installed, tried out also with a patch but no luck. My bsp version is L2.6.35_11.09.01_ER.

I have searched a lotand tried everything with no luck. Can anyone give me any approach or guide me in the right direction?.

Thanks to all in advance,

Santiago

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

It looks like you are really not using the GPU. Did you build the BSP with enviroment variable BSP_GPU_BASE=1 BSP_GPU_OPENGLES=1 BSP_GPU_OPENVG=1? This test application verifies the basic functionality of OpengGL ES 1.1. It is included in the release image. Also, You must have three separate packages installed to get good GPU performance in X11. You must have the amd-gpu-x11-bin-mx51, the xserver Xorg package, and the libz160 debian packages installed. Only the Ubuntu file system currently supports the GPU integration and acceleration. Also, you must make the system in inserting the UIO driver (uio_pdrv_genirq.ko) before the GPU driver to enable accleration of X11 drawing. You can use ?lsmod? to see if both modules are loaded. Check you ?/etc/modules? file to make sure the UIO is before GPU. Lastly, you can verify that the GPU driver is intsalled into X properly by running ?simple_draw 1000?. The resulting frames/sec should be over 100 (on most resolutions). Check the GPU_SDK < http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX53QSB&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab >

Hope this helps

0 Kudos

santiagoperez
Contributor I

Hi Bio_TICFSL,

thanks for your reply, very encouraging.

It looks like you are really not using the GPU.

Thats really probable  but all the steps made should have enabled it.

Did you build the BSP with enviroment variable BSP_GPU_BASE=1 BSP_GPU_OPENGLES=1 BSP_GPU_OPENVG=1?

I couldn't finde them. Where are they supposed to be and how to enable them?

This test application verifies the basic functionality of OpengGL ES 1.1. It is included in the release image.

In release image (Ubuntu) works fine, also the simple_draw application (212fps).

Also, You must have three separate packages installed to get good GPU performance in X11. You must have the amd-gpu-x11-bin-mx51, the xserver Xorg package, and the libz160 debian packages installed.

Yes, they are. The hole list of packages selected, based on Building Qt for i.MX5x and other sites/docs, are:

Processing platform: Freescale iMX5x Based Boards

===================================================

using config/platform/imx/.config

Processing: fake-provides

Processing: u-boot

Processing: kernel-2.6.35

Processing: skell

Processing: base_libs

Processing: busybox

Processing: libtermcap

Processing: bash

Processing: zlib

Processing: ncurses

Processing: openssl

Processing: hotplug

Processing: expat

Processing: freetype

Processing: fontconfig

Processing: libpng

Processing: libjpeg

Processing: glib2

Processing: tslib

Processing: randrproto

Processing: renderproto

Processing: fixesproto

Processing: damageproto

Processing: xf86driproto

Processing: xcmiscproto

Processing: xextproto

Processing: xproto

Processing: scrnsaverproto

Processing: bigreqsproto

Processing: resourceproto

Processing: fontsproto

Processing: inputproto

Processing: kbproto

Processing: videoproto

Processing: compositeproto

Processing: recordproto

Processing: fontcacheproto

Processing: xf86bigfontproto

Processing: xcb-proto

Processing: libpthread-stubs

Processing: libfontenc

Processing: xtrans

Processing: libdrm

Processing: pixman

Processing: libXau

Processing: libxcb

Processing: libXfont

Processing: libXdmcp

Processing: libX11

Processing: libxkbfile

Processing: libXrender

Processing: libXfixes

Processing: libXdamage

Processing: libpciaccess

Processing: fontutil

Processing: libXext

Processing: libICE

Processing: libSM

Processing: alsa-lib

Processing: libxml2

Processing: mysql

Processing: udev

Processing: alsa-utils

Processing: liboil

Processing: gstreamer-core

Processing: gst-plugins-base

Processing: gst-plugins-good

Processing: gst-plugins-bad

Processing: gst-plugins-ugly

Processing: xorg-x11-proto-devel

Processing: xorg-server

Processing: libXrandr

Processing: firmware-imx

Processing: imx-lib

Processing: imx-test

Processing: kobs-ng

Processing: fsl-mm-codeclib

Processing: gst-fsl-plugin

Processing: amd-gpu-x11-bin-mx51

Processing: libz160-bin

Processing: xorg-x11-drv-video-imx

Processing: sysconfig-mx

Processing: merge

Processing: modeps

I have also checked the driver in the kernel configuration, enabled by default.

Only the Ubuntu file system currently supports the GPU integration and acceleration.

I'm building my BSP based on the minimal rootfs. Do you mean only Ubuntu rootfs will really enable my GPU?

Also, you must make the system in inserting the UIO driver (uio_pdrv_genirq.ko) before the GPU driver to enable accleration of X11 drawing. You can use ?lsmod? to see if both modules are loaded. Check you ?/etc/modules? file to make sure the UIO is before GPU. Lastly, you can verify that the GPU driver is intsalled into X properly by running ?simple_draw 1000?. The resulting frames/sec should be over 100 (on most resolutions).

Neither both drivers are present in ?lsmod? and neither by ?modprobe -l?. I alse checked it in Ubuntu release image and they are also not present

The ?/etc/modules? folder doesn't exist in my rootfs, but it does in Ubuntu, empty.

The simple_draw test works perfect in Ubuntu (212fps) also all the gpu-sdk software, but they don't in my minimal rootfs.

I really can't find out what is missing.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos