Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&E OpenSDA on TWR-K64F120M

Jump to solution
SpeedLogic
Contributor I

Hello All,

I am just starting to work with this new KDS and the TWR-K64F120M board.

I built a new project with KSDK and no Processor Expert.

I have come across something strange:

1)

When starting the debug session I get a Warning 17927. Target MCU mismatch. But the device is the right one soldered to the board. Am I missing something here?

11470_11470.pngCapture1.PNG.png

2)

On CodeWarrior the Variables debug window could be populated with the globals as needed but here the menu item is disabled. Using the Expression window works as expected. Am I missing some settings?

11480_11480.pngCapture2.PNG.png

Thanks

Andrea

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andrea,

on 1) This is normal. P&E provided that firmware for FTF, and is preliminiary. Previous OpenSDAv1 firmware was tight to the onboard processor, and it looks like this OpenSDAv2 firmware still has this check in it. I expect that this will be removed in the final version. Beside of this firmware, you have the choice of using CMSIS-DAP, Segger (Segger J-Link Firmware for OpenSDAv2 | MCU on Eclipse) or USBDM (Using USBDM with Kinetis Design Studio).

on 2) Yes, this comes from Eclipse Kepler, see Variable Debugging with Eclipse Kepler | MCU on Eclipse

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andrea,

on 1) This is normal. P&E provided that firmware for FTF, and is preliminiary. Previous OpenSDAv1 firmware was tight to the onboard processor, and it looks like this OpenSDAv2 firmware still has this check in it. I expect that this will be removed in the final version. Beside of this firmware, you have the choice of using CMSIS-DAP, Segger (Segger J-Link Firmware for OpenSDAv2 | MCU on Eclipse) or USBDM (Using USBDM with Kinetis Design Studio).

on 2) Yes, this comes from Eclipse Kepler, see Variable Debugging with Eclipse Kepler | MCU on Eclipse

Erich

0 Kudos
SpeedLogic
Contributor I

Hi Erich,

again on 1) The board I am using is the Tower, not the Freedom. I thought that only the Freedom was rushed for the FTF, in fact the Tower has been on my table for some time... I also thought that the firmware on the Tower was OpenSDAv1 and not OpenSDAv2. How can I determine what OpenSDA (v1/v2) is on the Tower? Also I see that I can debug anyway even if it says target MCU mismatch. Do you think that I will have some very bad effects if I go on using it? Would it be better if I used my multilink FX instead ?

Again thank you very much.

Andrea

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I was somehow wrongly thinking that this is a FRDM board, as I had the same message with my FRDM-K64F with the P&E FTF firmware loaded. That firmware is not tight to the processor on the board, so I was not surprised to see that message for the FRDM board. You can check if it is OpenSDAv1 or V1, if you go into the bootloader mode and then have these files on the BOOTLOADER drive:

pastedImage_0.png

If it shows the files above, it is V1.

So if you indeed have a TWR board with OpenSDAv1 on it, and the firmware says 'Target MCU mismatch', then the board has not the correct firmware on it. I think you should then return it under warranty, because that message means that the debug/download speed is cut by half.

Erich

0 Kudos
SpeedLogic
Contributor I

I checked and yes, the TWR-K64F120M board has OpenSDAv1 on it.

I definitely think that the board has the right firmware on it, it works perfectly with CodeWarrior 10.6.

I also ran a test with KDS and a FRDM-KL25Z using OpenSDAv1 and it works perfectly.

Could it be something wrong in the P&E gdb server for the K64?

Or a problem with parts of the OpenSDA firmware that are specific to the K64 on both the TWR and the FRDM boards?

Andrea

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andrea,

hmm, strange. I check with P&E what is behind this. But at least for now you should not be blocked. I just expect that because of this message the debugging speed is not as high as it should be.

Erich

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andrea,

sorry, it took me a while for this one, but while dealing with a problem in another thread, I have found the solution.

There is an updated .bin file from P&E:

DEBUG-FRDM-K64F_Pemicro_v108b_for_OpenSDA_v2.1.bin

Go to https://www.pemicro.com/opensda/ and download the Firmware apps zip file.

In there, you find the above updated OpenSDA file. Program it to your OpenSDA on your board, and that message about Target CPU mismatch goes away.

Erich

0 Kudos