K60 and TWR-SER, cant get serial port to work.....................

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K60 and TWR-SER, cant get serial port to work.....................

chinniwhites
Contributor II

I have a brand new K60D100M and TWR-SER.  I create new MQX application and enable the shell.  I compile and load code but nothing comes out of serial ports.  I tried with jumper at default on TWR-SER, did not work.  I think changed two jumper to use 50Mhz and to route 50Mhz to clockin, still nothing works.  This has got to be simple and some jumpers have got to be set wrong.  I took out the twr-ser from K60 tower and into K70 replacing fucntional twr-ser on that tower and it worked - so its not the card.

Please help.

Thanks!

5 Replies

anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

By default MQX uses UART5 on the TWR-K60D100M board, which is connected to the OSJTAG circuit which provides a virtual serial port. This way you don't need the TWR-SER or a UART cable for UART communication.

If you want to change the default UART to UART3, which is connected to TWR-SER, open up C:\Freescale\Freescale_MQX_4_1\mqx\source\bsp\twrk60d100m\twrk60d100m.h

And on lines 1031 and 1032 change the default IO channel from TTYF to TTYD:

#if BSPCFG_ENABLE_TTYD

#define BSP_DEFAULT_IO_CHANNEL                    "ttyd:"    /* TWR-SER  polled mode   */

TTYD is already enabled in user_config.h so no changes are needed there. Then recompile the K60D100M BSP, and you should see the terminal output off the TWR-SER.

-Anthony

0 Kudos

yarannan
Contributor III

Does it mean, in order to get UART3 working, TWR-SER module is required? I am working on the same thing as well, but I only have TWR-K60D100M and TWR-IND-IO module.

Thanks,

Yaran

0 Kudos

tsi-chung_liew
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yaran,

When TWR-SER module is not available, following is the alternative method:

On TWR-K60D100M, UART3 is routed to Primary TWR Elevator of Pin A43 and A44. On TWR-IND-IO, Pin A43 and A44 are RXD1 and TXD1 to pin 1 & 2 of J8 1x4 HDR. You can using jumper wires short pin 2 of J16 to pin 1 of J8 and pin 4 of J16 to pin 2 of J8. Three wires are required on the PC host to UART transceiver J17 - A ground, pin 3 (TXD) and pin 5 (RXD) of J17.

Regards,

TsiChung

0 Kudos

chinniwhites
Contributor II

Thanks a mil, that worked!

I am trying to dump in the web_hvac demo for the atheros module.  Everything works fine when configured to use Ethernet port, then I change DEMOCFG_USE_WIFI from 0 to 1 and via the shell on serial port it tells me:

shell> sIWCONFIG_ERROR: Invalid Device number

Shell (build: May  2 2014)

Copyright (c) 2013 Freescale Semiconductor;

shell>

shell>

Any ideals????????????????????????

0 Kudos

anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with that peripheral board. You can try searching around the forums for information on that, or start a new thread (to make it more obvious there's an Atheros question in it).

Also check out these two threads:

Atheros Tower Module (TWR-WIFI-AR4100P) Patch for Freescale MQX™ 4.0.2 Available

MQX4.0 and TWR-WIFI-AR4100 patch?

0 Kudos