How to generate u-boot.imx file for Mfgtool?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate u-boot.imx file for Mfgtool?

Jump to solution
MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear Sir/Madam,

Hello,

We are trying to built a prototype with Vybrid VF3x. I need to program the QSPI flash with MFGTool.

I copied the Mfgtool u-boot files into Ubuntu, then the u-boot.imx file has been prepared for VF6x, I need to close some functions such as the DDR configuration, Ethernet initialization, etc for VF3x. Therefore I modified the vf610twr.h, and  vf610twr.c

So, are  there any document which explains how to generate the u-boot.imx file? Or Does anybody explain how to do it?

Thanks and best regards.

Mehmet Ali Ipin.

Labels (8)
Tags (3)
1 Solution
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Mehmet,

You can generate the cross-toolchain by building the Desktop Factory. Before you build the Desktop Factory, please be sure to follow the host requirements for your PC:

https://linuxlink.timesys.com/docs/wiki/factory/FactoryHostRequirements

Once you have done that, you can run 'make' from the top-level Desktop Factory directory to build. This will take several hours to complete. When finished, the toolchain will be located at the build_*/toolchain directory.

The following document has more information about using the Desktop Factory:

https://linuxlink.timesys.com/docs/wiki/factory/FactoryGSG

Also, I wanted to note that your Desktop Factory installation is fairly old. This is fine if you just want to use the cross-toolchain; if you ever wanted the latest kernel/bootloader sources, I would recommend downloading the latest Factory via the following link:

https://linuxlink.timesys.com/download-latest-factory

You can explode the tarball on top of the existing Desktop Factory directory to update. (This update method is fine as long as you don't modify any Desktop Factory source files, as your modifications would be lost). Then run 'make menuupdate' to update your workorder against the latest Factory defaults.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions.

Timesys Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Mehmet,

Building u-boot is typically a 2-step process: first, you configure u-boot to build for a certain hardware target, then you build u-boot. You will also need to specify a cross-compile toolchain (you can use the one provided by your Timesys SDK/build). So, from the top-level u-boot source tree, run the following commands:

make vf610twr_config

make u-boot.imx CROSS_COMPILE=<path to fully qualified toolchain>

The path to fully qualified toolchain could look something like this:

/home/mehmet/timesys/twr_vf600/toolchain/bin/armv7l-timesys-linux-gnueabi-

or

/home/mehmet/timesys/twr_vf600/factory-<date>/build_*/toolchain/bin/armv7l-timesys-linux-gnueabi-

Timesys Support

MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear Timesys,

Thank you very much for your helps.

Since I am using windows for DS-5, my timesys directories are not complete.

When I checked the timesys directory in my ubuntu, I have same directories upto /timesys/twr_vf600/toolchain/

At this point, I have binutils dir, instead of bin. I Don't have bin and its subdirectories.

What should I do for bin and its subdirectories are installed?

Thanks and best regards.

Mehmet Ali Ipin

Screenshot from 2014-04-02 09-36-23.png

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Mehmet,

The directory that you are looking at is actually ~/timesys/twr_vf600/factory-20121029/toolchain/. This is the "toolchain" directory located in your top-level Desktop Factory directory. It contains build rules for generating a cross-toolchain - not a cross-toolchain itself. If you have built this Desktop Factory, then the cross-toolchain is located at ~/timesys/twr_vf600/factory-20121029/build_*/toolchain/ .

Another option you have is to download the SDK from one of the Vybrid starting points at linuxlink.timesys.com/download, and install the SDK. The cross-toolchain will be located in the toolchain/ directory of where you install the SDK to.

Timesys Support

MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear,

Could you please tell me which commands shall I use to generate the cross tool chain at "toolchain" directory?

Or give the name of the document which explains the procedure.

Thanks and best regards.

Mehmet Ali

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Mehmet,

You can generate the cross-toolchain by building the Desktop Factory. Before you build the Desktop Factory, please be sure to follow the host requirements for your PC:

https://linuxlink.timesys.com/docs/wiki/factory/FactoryHostRequirements

Once you have done that, you can run 'make' from the top-level Desktop Factory directory to build. This will take several hours to complete. When finished, the toolchain will be located at the build_*/toolchain directory.

The following document has more information about using the Desktop Factory:

https://linuxlink.timesys.com/docs/wiki/factory/FactoryGSG

Also, I wanted to note that your Desktop Factory installation is fairly old. This is fine if you just want to use the cross-toolchain; if you ever wanted the latest kernel/bootloader sources, I would recommend downloading the latest Factory via the following link:

https://linuxlink.timesys.com/download-latest-factory

You can explode the tarball on top of the existing Desktop Factory directory to update. (This update method is fine as long as you don't modify any Desktop Factory source files, as your modifications would be lost). Then run 'make menuupdate' to update your workorder against the latest Factory defaults.

Timesys Support

0 Kudos
MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Hello,

Fort he host requirements, I got “no command ‘xxx’ found messages for gmp, mpfr, tetex, ncurses and libxslt, even I installed them with

Sudo apt-get install xxx command.

Should I test them with any other up level command?

Thanks and best regards.

Mehmet

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hi Mehmet,

Installing the host required packages with 'sudo apt-get install' should be sufficient. Installing a package 'x' does not necessarily mean a command 'x' will be available. Another way to verify a package 'x' has been installed would be to run dpkg -l | grep 'x'.

You can verify that your Desktop Factory has its host requirements met by running 'make checksystem' from the top-level Factory directory.

Timesys Support

0 Kudos
MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear Timesys support,

Thank you very much forr your helps,

I did not get an answer for "dpkg -l|grep tetex" command, but I received "all necessary tools installed" message for make checksystem command. I also see the /bin directory is filled with mostly *.sh and few other files. What shall I do next?

Thanks and best regards.

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hi Mehmet,

Thanks, it sounds like your Desktop Factory is ready to be built. To verify that you are building for the Vybrid Tower, you can run 'make menuconfig', and check that 'Target Configuration -> Board'  is 'Freescale TWR-VF65GS10'. You can then exit menuconfig and run 'make' to build. The build will likely take several hours to finish. When it does finish, the u-boot.imx image will be available in the build_*/images/bootloader/ directory. If you encounter any issues, please send a complete build log and the '.config' file located in your top-level Factory directory.

Thanks,

Timesys Support.

MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear Timesys,

Thank you for your helps, I run make menuconfig, selected TWR-VF65GS10, and exit. When I run make, I got libfakerroot.so error, as you will see the attachmentScreenshot from 2014-04-08 11-37-51.png

What shall I do?

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hi Mehmet,

This error can occur if you have moved or renamed your Desktop Factory directory after it was built or partially built. Try running 'make clean && make', which will clean the build and then rebuild.

If the build still fails, I would recommend downloading the latest Desktop Factory at http://linuxlink.timesys.com/download-latest-factory . Extract the downloaded tarball to a new location, copy the '.config' file from the old top-level Desktop Factory directory to the new one, and run 'make menuupdate' in the new Desktop Factory directory and accept all updates. Run 'make 2>&1 | tee log' to build and create a log named 'log' at the current directory. If the build fails, please send the 'log' file and your .config file, both of which will be in the top-level Factory directory. If the build completes successfully, you can find u-boot.imx in build_*/images/bootloader/.

Thanks,

Timesys Support

0 Kudos
MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear Timesys Support,

Thank you very much;

make clean && make instruction solved the problem. Now I can see the u-boot.imx in the directory you have written.

Later, I went to our MFGTool u-boot directory and executed the following commands

make vf610twr_config

make u-boot.imx CROSS_COMPILE=<path to fully qualified toolchain>

Now I have my up to date u-boot.imx file in my MFGtool u-boot directory.

Thank you sooo.. much.

Mehmet Ali Ipin

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport can you attend this case?

0 Kudos