Issues with BSP Cloning Wizard - any suggestions on how to proceed?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with BSP Cloning Wizard - any suggestions on how to proceed?

Symbolic
Contributor III

We are developing code for a custom board we are creating.

We need to use BSP Cloning Wizard to create the new BSP packages.

We do this - create a new BSP clone.

We then export the MQX source as per the Cloning Wizard instructions.

The problem is that this export is designed for creating a complete MQX installation for a single BSP.

We are looking to have at least one more variant of the board and want to put that variant in the same MQX directory tree.

(Actually, we are looking for at least 3 more variants - see below)

This is for several reasons:

1.  Common code -  we do not want to change a file in one BSP code base, and then manually propagate the code change(s) to all the other BSP code bases.

2.  Sharing between team members (combined with version control of the code base) - it does not make a lot of sense to Version Control the original MQX code base. So we version control and share the derived code base.

3.  One set of variants is so that we can develop a project for debugging directly on the board, and another variant so that we can create the same project with changes as needed to be loaded by a resident BootLoader (which requires changes to the MQX builds, and thus two different versions of MQX (BSPs) for the same physical hardware)

If the BSP Cloning Wizard would put/merge its output into some other directory than the original MQX installation, that would be a solution to the problem, but we haven't found out how to do this yet.

If the BSP Source Tree export Wizard could handle a "merge" situation differently from the "create a brand new MQX tree", that would also solve the issue, but I am not sure how that implementation would work.

We did a controlled attempt to manually merge two BSP exports, but the file collision space is too large to make it practical (as far as we could tell)

We had very few clues as to whether we should replace files, etc.,

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please have a look at this post:

Re: my Bareboard project is not generating BSP Files?

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stephen,

I am not sure if this will solve completely your problem, but you can use is as reference.

If I am helping a customer to port a particular MQX bsp, I clone the base bsp giving to the destination bsp a ‘name’. Cloned bsp is crated in my MQX installation folder. If I want to share my modifications, I created the attached bat file (rename from .txt to .bat). The script is copying the relevant bsp ‘name’ files to a destination folder. Then I zip the folder and send to customer. I ask customer to clone the same base bsp with the same ‘name’ I  used. Then unzip the zip file provided into his MQX installation folder. Why to clone in the destination MQX installation? Because the script can be simpler and the customer could want to clone the MQX examples.

I am only extracting the bsp files, I assume that psp, mfs, rtcs, etc have not been modified and not needed to extract and send.

I have tested and used but you will have to test it or do the modifications needed for your use case. Provide as is, not fully tested to work in all the use cases.

Copy_bsp_cloned.bat ‘name_bsp’ ‘destination folder’

I hope this helps.

Luis

0 Kudos

Symbolic
Contributor III

Hi Luis,

I can't tell if this is useful or not, as the "attached file" does not appear anywhere that I can see...  :smileysad:

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos

Symbolic
Contributor III

Hi Luis,

I have downloaded the .bat file, and carefully re-read your posts.

I don't think that this is helpful, as it does not address the key issues.

Please feel free to correct me if I am missing something.

In your scenario, you basically copy changes over from your MQX installation to your customer's MQX installation - and the customer must have already created a BSP clone in his MQX installation directory.

We have already created a BSP clone in our MQX installation directory.

The problem is that we wish to create such a clone in a derivative MQX installation directory that we have under a VCS (SVN in our case).

The issue seems to be that we can only create additional clones in the "main" MQX installation directory, and don't seem to be able to "point" to any arbitrary target MQX installation directory when running the BSP Clone Wizard.

Additionally, we don't seem to be able to create any "clone" MQX installation directory that contains multiple BSP instances using this tool  (or any other tools that I can find).

Thanks for your attempt to help, however.    It IS appreciated.

The answer might be in the processes involved, or some way of using the tools that we have not yet discovered.

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stephen,

No, it doesn't solve your issue.  Have you tried git? You can clone master branch in your local directory, clone a BSP and you could commit the changes to master branch or just mantain the remote branch for the other users.  Anyone could checkout one of the branch, clone a new bsp and you can decide if that changes are committed to the master or maintain the new branch.  I think that the cloning tool should work in your local branch because It is not pointing to arbitrary folder but your branch. I have never tried this, perhaps there are issues I don't see now.

Best Regards,

Luis

0 Kudos