Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with USBDM setup

Jump to solution
stephenellis
Contributor I

G'day guys,

Straight off the bat, please excuse my ignorance! My question is pretty basic: I've picked up a 'V2' USBDM from eBay [identical to the one mentioned in https://community.freescale.com/message/307337#307337], and I'm having trouble getting it to see the target. Any ideas?

The company I work for has taken over production of an instrument which uses an MC9S08GB60CFUE MCU. Now, previously I was able to program the instruments with a P&E Multilink on an old Win2k computer under CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers V6.3, however the Multilink had to go back to its owner. This version of the Multilink didn't work with any of our machines because it apparently doesn't play nicely with WinXP+ operating systems. We pulled an old Win2k machine out of storage and got it all running on that.

I ordered this USBDM and now that it's here I'm trying to flash up another instrument. I'm running into trouble, though. My workstation is a Win7 x64 machine with I have CodeWarrior installed. I've installed the drivers and software from SourceForge, and the attached screenshot [HCS08_Programmer_USBDM.jpg] shows what I can see when I open the HCS08 Programmer executable.

If I try to "Detect Chip" from the Target tab, or if I try to connect to the instrument via the "Debug" button in CodeWarrior, I get an error message as attached below [HCS08_Programmer_Target_connection_Error.jpg]. No amount of power cycling helps.

I've installed the same setup [CodeWarrior for MCUs V6.3, the eBay USBDM drivers and software] on a 32bit XinXP machine but I get the same results.

Could anyone shed some light on this for me? Let me know what other info would be useful.

Many thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Stephen,

A few things to check/try:

• Select Automatically re-connect on the first tab
  • Make sure the power pin on the BDM connector is connected to the target power or select the appropriate voltage on the first tab.
  • I notice that the board has several jumpers - Do you know what they do?  Do you have a circuit diagram for the BDM because it differs from the examples I provided.

bye

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Stephen,

A few things to check/try:

• Select Automatically re-connect on the first tab
  • Make sure the power pin on the BDM connector is connected to the target power or select the appropriate voltage on the first tab.
  • I notice that the board has several jumpers - Do you know what they do?  Do you have a circuit diagram for the BDM because it differs from the examples I provided.

bye

0 Kudos
stephenellis
Contributor I

G'day pgo,

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate you taking time to help!

And of course, now I feel like a clown: I ran through your checklist - I'd had "Automagically re-connect" selected, so I had a look at the BDM connector. I knew our connector was good, since it'd worked previously and I've checked it against the spec. I had a look at the BDM connector on this programmer and it was good also. I had a look at the cable supplied with the programmer only to discover that one connector had been put on backwards... I sorted that out, and the thing works beautifully!

Thanks again for your help.

As regards the jumpers, I don't know what they do and I don't have a diagram. If I can get a response from the seller on eBay, I'll try and ask him for one - I doubt he does anything except sell them, tho, so I don't expect his to have access to one.

0 Kudos