cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please recommend chips for VOIP Handsets

chojaeyong
Contributor I

Hello All

We are planning to develop VOIP Handsets.

The call has simple functionality.

It has only voice streams and no video streams based on SIP protocol.

And we want to easy development environment also including many demo project and codes based on Linux or Android.

Firstly we consider using i.Mx233 however it's status was changed "Not Recommended for New Design".

Please recommend cost effective chips and solutions.

Thanks.

8 Replies

chojaeyong
Contributor I

Hello, Weidong and Gary

Thank you for your replys.

We have some experience with Freescale ColdFire family and MQX RTOS.

I do think that MQX platform and Eclipse based CW were very useful and powerful.

So, we first have considered MQX platform.

But, according to MQXRTCSUG.pdf,

MQX implementation doesn't support H.323 and fragmented TCP and UDP packets.

The second consideration is i.MX233 processor.

As Weidong told that i.MX233 has internal audio codec and Linux port,

Our only concern is that it will be replaced other chips.

In this project, Linux and Android is not mandatory because the call has only voice stream.

However our next step, we will implement Signaling protocols such as SIP or H.323.

Now we consider about i.MX28 series and external audio code chips.

In addition, we already have K60N512 Tower Ev.Kit.

So, if K60 family has Linux port and other pros then please let me know.

If there is that, we will jump to the project right now.

I really appriciate your replys.

Regards, Kevin

0 Kudos

GarySegal
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Kevin,

The ARM Coretex M4 core used in the Kinetis family does not have an MMU.  An MMU is required to run Linux.  uClinux runs on processors without an MMU.  Please look at this thread for more information about uClinux on Kinetis:

uClinux for Kinetis K70

Thanks,

-Gary Segal

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,Kevin,

If kinetis can accord with your requirements, you can evaluate it , if you have questions about it , you can submit them in kinetis section in community.

Regards,

Weidong

0 Kudos

davidsteele
Contributor II

Hi Kevin

There is also a development kit available for VoIP using Kinetis.  This a very straightforward VoIP system with narrow and wide-band codec support combined with an audio susbystem ASIC to handle the audio intelligibility and psychoacoustic functions (AEC, noise reduction etc, optional AGC, beam forming etc).  You treat the MCU basically like a VoIP ASIC - it uses a simple character driven  protocol for configuration, command and control over the UART or TCP/IP socket. You can add your application functionality into a low-cost microcontroller connect via the UART or use it in IoT mode where it would connect to a host service via the socket connection.

uCMK60-VoIP Development Kit|Freescale

Arcturus Networks Inc. | uCMK60-VoIP

Here is a video

uCMK60-VoIP Board and Module - Product Introduction - YouTube

We also have Linux i.MX support with our VoIP middleware - but you would need to contact us directly for that.

0 Kudos

GarySegal
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have you considered the Kinetis K family of ARM Cortex M4 based micro controllers?  The higher end devices include Ethernet and LCD interfaces and have plenty of CPU power for VoIP processing.

http://www.freescale.com/kinetis

I suggest the K60 (Ethernet, more) or K70 (LCD, Ethernet, more).

Thanks.

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,Gary,

Kevin needs to run linux or android OS.

Weidong

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,Kevin,

If you select i.mx233, The greatest benefit for you is that there is internal autio codec in i.mx233 SOC. But in the fulture, this SOC will be replace with i.mx28. these 2 SOCs are very similiar in functions, even in BSP structure.

But the Regrettable thing is that there is no internal audio codec in i.mx28, in order to make up it, you can selet SGTL5000 audio codec which is manuafactured by freescale.

Considering cost down, you can select i.mx280 or i.mx283 ,they are both members of i.mx28 family. The following is address of i.mx280, please evaluate it :

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX280&nodeId=018rH3ZrDRA24A

Any questions, let me know ,please !

Regards,

Weidong

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,Kevin,

The following is the BSP supported by i.mx series:

(1)wince/linux/android

i.mx51,imx53---ARM coretex-A8 core

,imx6----ARM coretex-A9 core

(2)wince/linux

i.mx233,i.mx25,i.mx27,i.mx28 --- ARM9 core

i.mx31,i.mx35.---ARM11 core.

I think BSP supported by i.mx is very important for you project , So list them above.

I check SIP protocol, SIP is a open project, if you want to use it , you will have to make it be simplified and porting it to linux system (maybe wince or android)

As for audio encoding and decoding, I don't konw what compressing format you want. Normally, Audio codec only support PCM format. if you need other format, such as ADPCM / G.729 etc, you will have to select special IC for your requirments.

Regards,

Weidong