Is it possible to change target processor keeping preset parameters in PE?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to change target processor keeping preset parameters in PE?

VictorLorenzo
Contributor IV

I'm creating the BSP/PSP for a custom board we're developing based on MK20DN512VLK10 and using MQX (version 4.0) and Eclipse based Code Warrior 10.3 (Windows). The MK20DN512VLK10 derivative is not directly supported by current PE tools (see Re: Is MK20DX256VLK10 missing in Processor Expert ?), so using the MK20DN512VLK10 (larger flash memory) as a starting point and tweaking flash settings is the recommendation given by VF.

Firstly, I've created a BSP clone taking 'bsp_twrk20d72m' as source BSP for the MQX BSP cloning Wizard. The twrk20d72m is using even another derivative with different frequencies and pinout.

How could I do for changing the target processor in the BSP, but keeping most PE Component configuration parameters as they were set for the original BSP processor?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies

VictorLorenzo
Contributor IV

Correction: I typed wrongly the partnumber, it should have been MK20DX256VLK10 instead of MK20DN512VLK10 (which is indeed supported in PE). Anyway, using the 'visual_memory+mouse+keyboard+soomeee_time...' method did the job.

At the end we finally installed one MK20DN512VLK10.

0 Kudos

Petr_H
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

You can transfer components with their settings across the projects (no matter that the CPU is different) using copy/paste pop-up menu commands or using File > Import.. and then go to Processor Expert / Component Settings to Project.

The problem can be in this case that pin names may not match, also there may be some peripherals different or missing. So after such import, you should go through all component settings and adjust the settings in the components that are not correct or report error.

best regards

Petr Hradsky

Processor Expert Support Team

0 Kudos

VictorLorenzo
Contributor IV

Hi Petr, thanks a lot for taking a time.

I tried copy/paste the CPU component just as I did with some other components, but the CPU kept being the same. I also tried importing the CPU thru File/Import... with same results, not being able of changing the CPU for one not listed in PE's CPU properties view (or at least not being able to find the way to do it).

Something I found useful for saving settings for later use was the "Save Component Settings As Template" tool (mouse right-click over the CPU component in the project components view). It's a good tool.

As a complimentary PE's tool, I think it could be useful having a tool like "Apply Settings from Template" and/or "Import Settings from PE File". Freescale uses to have several CPUs from the product lines that share many characteristics (core, peripherals, memory types, clock generators, power management, etc).

Regards, Victor

0 Kudos

Petr_H
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

It seems like misunderstanding. I described transferring components with settings (not CPU) to a newly created project for another CPU. Using the menu command File > Import.. and then go to Processor Expert / Component Settings to Project. There in the file dialog you can change extension to .pe and select another existing project and select what component you want to import. I think that this is "Import Settings from PE File" that you have mentioned.

If you don't want to create a new project for a new CPU, you can select and add a new CPU component using Processors tab in the Components library view. Then you can enable it and the project switches to this new CPU.

However, there might be issues with compiler/linker if the new CPU requires another compiler/settings, because using this you won't go through project creation wizard that does some parts of new project configuration.

best regards

Petr Hradsky

Processor Expert Support Team

0 Kudos