Desktop manager "matchbox-desktop" run as a user non-root from yocto?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop manager "matchbox-desktop" run as a user non-root from yocto?

marco_padovani
Contributor II

Hi, 

i'm working with yocto (krogoth) project on the imx6 processor. I created the sato image where a GNOME desktop manager is used.

I added a password for root user and add a new user from yocto:

#first delete "debug-tweaks"

EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "usermod -P password root; \
                      useradd -P 123456 myUser;"

it worked.

Now, i want to boot matchbox-desktop with "myUser" and not as a root, there is any procedure to do on yocto?

I beleve that is sufficient because i tried to run a new  matchbox-desktop istance with myUser, all internal application desktop running with "myUser". That's what i want.

Is necessary to run xserver as a "myUser"? In this case, how it do?

Thanks, 

Marco

5 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Marco,

Does your image have the debug-tweaks enabled? These force to boot as root and the recommendation is shown as a comment, but I wanted to double check that that was not the problem.

Regards,

0 Kudos

marco_padovani
Contributor II

However this not solve my problem, because if the display manager start as a root, from the "FIle manager" or the "Terminal" is possible to delete and modify any files and i don't want this.

Is there any parameters to modify it to start with another user?

Thanks

Marco

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Marco,

This is a very good question and I was looking at the Yocto documentation looking for an answer without finding anything.

In general terms you would be able to achieve this by changing the shell of the user you want to use for it to be the default system shell. This would be done with update-alternatives to set that symbolic link but I haven’t tested it and then there would be the matter or including it in Yocto. I haven’t found any information on how to do it although there is a update-alternatives.bbclass which you may inherit if you would like to try to make a recipe.

I

t sounds like something that should be relatively easy to do and yet there is very little information on the Yocto documentation and forums.

Regards,

0 Kudos

marco_padovani
Contributor II

From SSH and SerialConsole the login is correct to enter with a root or myUser.

The problem was on boot, the macthbox-deskop start as a root.

Marco

marco_padovani
Contributor II

Hi gusarambula, 

I commented the debug-tweaks in configuration file.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Marco