New device driver integration with Yocto

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New device driver integration with Yocto

malays
Contributor I

Hello, I am looking for new device driver integration flow with yocto. I am trying to interface SI4731 tuner chip with IiMX8M MINI development board. I add related c files to /tmp/work-shared/imx8mm-var-dart/kernel-source/sound/soc/codecs/ path and required headers file to /tmp/work-shared/imx8mm-var-dart/kernel-source/include/linux/mfd/ with the reference to in built si476x driver files.

Also update Kconfig and Makefiles for the tuner chip.

But not able to see the chi entry in ALSA list.

I might be doing something wrong or incomplete.

Please provide some reference/guidance for the adding new driver in yocto.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Malay Dhrangadhria,

Adding a new driver in Yocto is not a trivial task. There is some reference on the i.MX BSP Porting Guide (I see that you are using a Variscite board, but the main concepts remain) and the Yocto Project documentation have also useful information but not a step-by-step guide.

The steps look okay. However, are you compiling within Yocto using bitbake? Or outside by cross compiling? If you are building with bitbake it could be that the changes on the kernel configuration are not taking place. This because Yocto is not meant so much as a development tool but rather as a means of distributing custom Linux images.

If you wish to make sure that they do take precedence you would need to add them to a bitbake recipe or append similar to the document below (which us based on an older BSP release so there may be some differences but the logic would be the same).

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-334088

I hope this helps!

Regards,

malays
Contributor I

Hello gusarambula,

I am also trying to directly work on board for driver integration. 

I have some reference driver files (.c and .h) for SI4731 tuner chip. Can you help me with some reference procedure for integrate device driver directly on board. 

Thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos

emb-vikapat
Contributor II

Hi malays‌,

I am working on SI4731 device driver development for IMX8QM Android Linux kernel, started recently. I am able to probe the device as i2c client and send some basic I2C commands to SI4731 from probe function.

I have been searching for full fledged deice driver where I can integrate it with Android HAL layer.

Since you have mentioned some reference driver files available, can I have the reference files for my further device driver development.

Thanks & Regards,

Vikas

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Malay Dhrangadhria,

We do not have a lot of documentation other than the i.MX Porting Guide, but if you are using Yocto I would recommend looking at the BSP Porting Guide as part of the Yocto Documentation, which provides some guidelines but not a step by step guide, unfortunately.

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/bsp-guide/bsp-guide.html

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

0 Kudos

malays
Contributor I

Hello gusarambula,

Thank you for your guidance. I really appreciate your help.

I will work on this today and get back to you with the updates.

0 Kudos