Can the FRC in the ENET block be clocked from an external reference clock?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the FRC in the ENET block be clocked from an external reference clock?

hoobdwarp
Contributor I

I am working on a design with the iMX RT1060. I would like to be able to clock the ENET block's free-running counter (FRC) from an external 10 MHz reference clock that is generated from a precision lab clock source, so I can eventually stamp outgoing IEEE 1588 frames. Is there a way to clock the FRC from this external 10 MHz reference clock? The clock tree diagrams in the RT1060 Reference Manual seem to be missing a lot of the details about the ENET clock tree, especially how the reference clock is used.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Sabina_Bruce
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Phil,

Hope you are doing well.

I believe your question is similiar to this post.

How to generate usable system clock in PTP/1588 slave 

Essentially, if I am understanding your question correctly, the FRC is not fed directly by an external clock source. You may use an external clock source to feed the PLLs which consequently get to the enet_clk. I prefer using the clock tree diagram provided in the config tools to see how and what can be modified in the route to generate the frequencies wanted. 

Best Regards,

Sabina

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

0 Kudos