cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8MM EVK - typeC to typeA/B connector

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Hello team,

My customer is trying to use IMX8MM EVK Type-C connector to run the USB2 UVC camera directly into the USB lines

EVK link - 

https://www.nxp.com/design/development-boards/i-mx-evaluation-and-development-boards/evaluation-kit-... 

They tried following this instruction: https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-346008 

and changed the U-BOOT and the kernel as described – but didn’t understand what needs to be changed in the IOMUX part?

On the board – they connected DP/DN to their Test points and connected CC1, CC2 to GND (with a 56K Resistor).
also connected USB_ID to GND (with 100k resistor).
they are connected 5V from a power supply to F301 (fuse) – and shared GND with the board.
Is there anything else they need to change to make it work?

Please advise back, I'll appreciate your fast response.

Thanks in advance 

Kind regards,

Shai 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Hi Weidong,

Thank you, they will try but they have some other questions:

1. They plan to test it on our EVB, do they need to remove all of the components connected to this connector?  (U302,U303, U308) or is it enough to remove F301?

imx8otg1.png

2. USB1_OTG_ID (GPIO1_10) is connected to ENET_nINT (pin 5 of U501 – below) and I don’t see any other option for it. What can we do?

We plan to use the ETHERNET connection without the connector as well if it matters – but U501 will still be connected.

imx8otg2.png

Could you please advise the above questions, Thanks in advance

kind regards,

Shai

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Shai,

1. I can understand the customer's meaning, but it is a hard work to test it on iMX8MM-EVK board.

I think it is not neccessary to do the test. customer can send her schematic to us when design is done. we can help her check if usb usage is correct.

2. My advice is  for customer's design.

(1) USB1 is used to download image.

(2) USB2 is used for USB camera.

Actually, these 2 USB's design can be the same as that of imx6qdl-sabreSD board. customer can also refer to iMX6QDL-SabreSD board. you konw on i.mx8mm , 2 ports are just USB2.0. their usage are the same before if they don't use USB TYPE-C.

Have a nice day!

B.R,

Weidong

0 Kudos

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Hi Weidong,

Wigros Sun wrote:

Actually, these 2 USB's design can be the same as that of imx6qdl-sabreSD board. customer can also refer to iMX6QDL-SabreSD board. you konw on i.mx8mm , 2 ports are just USB2.0. their usage are the same before if they don't use USB TYPE-C.

It's not correct, On iMX6, RGMII_INT connect to ENET_RXD1(W22), ETH_WOL_INT connect to ENET_TX_EN (V21) and    USB_OTG_ID connect to ENET_RX_ER (W23) . IMX8 EVB not include those extra pin. I need to know how to connect the below    pin on IMX8.

imx8m_spigpio.pngimx8m_USB.pngimx8m_eNET.png

Right now in my customer design:

• ENET_nINT – connect to GPIO1_IO10(AD10)
• ENET_WoL - connect to GPIO1_IO11 (AC10)
• USB2_OTG_ID – Where to connect?

imx8imx6_rgmii_int.png

Can you please advise back, Thanks in advance 

Kind regards,

Shai

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Shai,

The customer's original question is how to connect UVC camera module to i.MX8MM USB. BUT now what he said is on ENET connections.

I really confused with the cusotmer's purpose.  I didn't understand what she wants to know!

---------this is to descirbe how to design USB circuit-------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the customer wants to know how to design ethernet , would you please re-create a new ticket on community?

Thanks!

B.R,

Weidong

0 Kudos

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Dear Weidong,

I've opened a new thread here:

i.MX8MM-EVK - design correctly ethernet  

I really appreciate your supports so far, Thanks in advance.

KR,

Shai 

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Shai,

Customer is using USB-TYPE-C , she should deign it by following I.MX8MM-EVK schematic. then use USB TYPE-C to USB TYPE-A-F cable for your USB UVC connections.

or customer directly uses UVC camera with USB-TYPE-C interface.

The document, https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-346008 , is for conventional design of USB2.0, like USB usage of i.MX6QDL-SabreSD board. Customer can't refter to the document, because she uses USB TYPE-C.

Hope the information is helful for customer!

Have a great day!

B.R,

weidong

0 Kudos

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Dear Weidong, 

Thanks for your inputs, but the customer is trying to use I.MX8MM-EVK USB type-c and connect it directly to the USB2 camera device (without the connector only wires).

Type-C contains the CC logic to detect if the device is HOST or END device. due that the customer has shorted the CC1, CC2 to GND.

but still, it does not work for him, could you please advise if there is anything that needs to be done in the term of a software configuration and mechanical?

I will appreciate if you can guide us out, Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,

Shai 

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Shai,

See below, please!

pastedImage_2.png

USB2 is Power input, if you connect USB camera, you should use USB1 port.

USB2 is connected to Power adapter together with i.MX8MM-EVK kit.

Have a nice day!

B.R,

Weidong

0 Kudos

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Dear Weidong,

I did not fully understand the answer.

Their board has a TYPE-C connector and they want to change it to a USB2.0, but without a connector, it will be connected directly to a UVC camera.

We know that USB2 is used for power input and they plan to use USB1.

please advise what is the right step to configure the devices to works with USB2.0 devices?

I really appreciate your time and effort, Thanks.

K.R

Shai 

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sorry! probably I didn't describe it clearly.

----Customer's board with USB TYPE-C, and USB camera wih USB TYPE-A-M

customer can use a TYPE-C to USB TYPE-A-F cable for the camera interface.

----For i.MX8MM-EVK board

Customer can only usb USB1 to test it. TYPE-C to TYPE-A-F cable should also be used.

Have a nice day!

B.R,

weidong

0 Kudos

shai_b
Senior Contributor II

Hi Weidong,

the customer is not going to use TYPE-C to TYPE-A adapter, his plans to connect USB data directly to the board without a connector.

as far as I know, TYPE-C has a pin A5/B5 (CC1/2) to determine if the device is USB host mode (A5/B5 short to VCC) or not (A5/B5 shot to GND).

so, in that case, the customer needs to change the U-BOOT?

what your suggestion in case the customer is not working with connectors/cables and need to supports USB TYPE-A over USB TYPE-C?

Thanks.

K.R

Shai

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Shai,

See below, please!

1. Hardware

pastedImage_1.png

Above schematic is for USB2,  for USB1, simiar design.

(1) Remove TYPE-A-F connector

(2) Remove L56, disconnect 5V, customer's camera doesn't need 5V

(3) connect D+/D- to USB camera module.

(4) Connect USB1_OTG_ID (not USB1_ID) to a 2.2k resistor, pulling it to LOW.

At this time, USB1 will work at HOST mode.

2. U-BOOT

Same change as https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-346008 

--i.MX8M Mini

U-BOOT:  CONFIG_USB_TCPC=n

Device Tree:

&usbotg1 {
    status = "okay";
};

&usbotg2 {
    status = "okay";

Have a nice day!

B.R,