cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing code into Spiffy flash

BillTheBiker
Contributor III

From the MCUxpresso manual:

"The second example graphic shows both the placement of a constant data table and also the powerful technique of specifying a project source folder and placing the entire contents of that folder (flash2’s .text sections) into a chosen flash device. Using this scheme the user can drag and drop source files within the project structure to choose which location will be used for their linkage and so their flash storage."

Is there a better explanation (or video) on how to do this...?  

How would you place a library project into Spiffy?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi william sell ,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) Is there a better explanation (or video) on how to do this?  
-- No, I'm afraid there's is no better explanation for this, in opinion, it's good enough to guide how to do it, and if you encounter some problems, please give a description.
2) How would you place a library project into Spiffy?
-- I'm not very clear with this question, whether you can clarify it.

Have a great day,

TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

BillTheBiker
Contributor III

If I thought it was "good enough to guide how to do it" I would not ask for more clarification.  Typical NXP, leave to the users to figure this out.  So your advice is to try and figure it out and then go down the NXP customer support rabbit hole to see why it is not working.

A library project produces a .a file output.  This is not linked until the final stage and the only linker settings are for the main project.  So how can I direct the .a file output to be linked into the spiffy flash?

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi ,

1) So your advice is to try and figure it out and then go down the NXP customer support rabbit hole to see why it is not working.
-- I mean that the MCUXpresso IDE has provided the friendly button, the developer follows it can make it quickly, just like the below figure presents that click plus to adding some extra linker section.

pastedImage_2.png
2) The below presents how to add the library into a demo project in the MCUXpresso IDE.

pastedImage_1.png

Have a great day,

TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

BillTheBiker
Contributor III

So to be clear you create a section description and point to extended flash (flash2) and then you create the library and add to the project (your second slide) and then this library is now located into flash2?  I do not see the linkage here!  I have no problem referencing libraries in my project, my question is how can I direct the output of the compile (the .a file) such that the linker places into extended flash.  Basically I want to create a library (pre-compiled to get the .a file), drop the .a file into the project, create the references to the library and then tell the linker to place this .a file into the spiffy flash.  Is this possible (and no cr_section_macros.h is not the answer for large 3rd party source)

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.
It needs to use own linker file which uses the command to add the library object like the post shows.

In further, please refer to the post to learn how to create own linker file.

Have a great day,

TIC

Note:

0 Kudos