cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC51U68: Need help with SPI slave bytes shift issue

john_zhou1
Contributor I

Hello my friends:

I’m new for LPC51U68. Now I’m migrating from LPC111x to LPC51U68 and encounters some issues, one of major issue is SPI slave byte shift.

Environment:

1.Modified LPC1114 example SSPMaster, sends 64 Bytes per frame and 82ms idle between 2 frames(in a while loop).

2.Modified LPC51U68 NXP example spi_polling_b2b_transfer_slave ,64 Bytes per frame, and data starts from 0x00, 0x01 till 0x3F. I also put transfer statements into while loop.( following screen capture shows what I have changed from the original file)

WechatIMG48.png

3.Connect LPC1114 Pin 0.6 to LPC51U68 P0.11, and conn P0.4 on LPC51U68 to GND and power up both boards then captures transfer with Saleae.

51U68 slave data always shifts header byte(1 or 2 bytes) from the second transfer in while loop.(Only 3rd frame corrects one time)

QQ20191031-150106@2x.png

How can I fix this make SPI slave always starts from 0x0 and ends with 0x3F? Thanks a lot!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, John,

For your first question, pls refer to the link, which describes the DMA Ping-Pong mode.

DMA Ping-Pong application 

For your second question, yes, if the SPI master can toggle /CS pin for each byte transfer, the spi slave byte shift issue does not appear.

hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, John,

Before the spi slave transfers data, you have to fill the transmitter FIFO of spi slave with dummy data, otherwise, there is issue, on the master side, you can discard the dummy data.

After you initialize the spi slave, you can use the code to fill the FIFO.

Hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun Rong

void enableSPI(void)
{
    uint8_t testIndex=10;
    uint32_t ctrl = 0x70e0000;
    //spi3 enable
        SPI->CFG|=0x01;
        //clear the transmitter and receiver FIFO
        SPI->FIFOCFG|=0xC0000;
        //The FIFO size is 8,
        //write the dummy data to SPI slave transmitter FIFO
        //The spi master has to remove the 8 dummy data
        do
        {
            SPI->FIFOWR = ctrl|testIndex;
            testIndex++;

}while(SPI->FIFOSTAT&0x20);

}

0 Kudos

john_zhou1
Contributor I

Hi Rong:

Thank you for your reply. After few tweaks, this code worked like a  charm!!

Really appreciate for your help!

Now I have encountered a new issue for DMA SPI slave. Shall we continue discuss in this topic?

After reading the UM, I've learned DMA has a 1k buffer limit, so if I want transmit data larger than 1024, I should change the "link to next descriptor" after last descriptor is exhausted.

The example which called SPI_MasterTransferDMA(), after 1024 bytes transmit, and it stops. 

So how can I manage this code to work with data like over 8k bytes?

I'm new to DMA (which LPC111x do not has this)

Thank you!

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, John,

Because the DMA XFERCOUNT bits(25::16) in Channel transfer configuration registers is limited to 1024, so the DMA transfer count is limited to 1024. If the transfer data size is greater than 1024, you can reinitialize the DMA Channel transfer configuration register, and restart DMA in DMAcallback function.

BTW, for the first question that SPI slave byte shift issue, I suggest the master spi toggles /CS signal for each byte, in this way, the issue never happens.

Of course, using "link to next descriptor" is an alternative for large size data transfer.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

john_zhou1
Contributor I

Hi Rong:

Thanks for your reply!

Here’s my situation:

1. For DMA SPI slave, I have to transmit about 8k bytes in a high clock rate(12Mhz) and almost without breaks(less than 0.3 us, as shown below) between every 2 bytes. It requires very fast respond in case of missing any data. So I think "link to next descriptor" would be a nice solution. Please help.
  2. Both SPI poll mode and DMA mode, the master device not came from me, I just have to adapt to it. It does not have CS signal, but I could use other GPIO pin as a trigger to pull the CS at the end of frame (not between bytes). Does this helps?

Thank you!

QQ20191106204810.png

0 Kudos