How to build a fully bootable SD card for LS1043ARDB running Yocto QorIQ SDK v2.7 code.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build a fully bootable SD card for LS1043ARDB running Yocto QorIQ SDK v2.7 code.

manhnguyen1
Contributor I

There are two kinds of bootable SD cards for LS1043ARDB: One is to be used with u-boot in NOR flash, other is all by itself no NOR flash which I call "fully bootable SD card"

I could successfully build the NOR flash bootable SD card a couple weeks back. Thanks to my stellar NXP FAE's.

I've been trying to build a fully bootable SD card using instructions from the below NXP Community links  that my NXP FAE gave me:

LS1043a SD card boot failed 

How to boot from SD/MMC on the LS1043ARDB 

how do i get u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin? 

However I found that the name of u-boot file is out dated and renamed in the SDK as mentioned in the below link

///////////////////////////////////

Rahul, you'll find that a plain old uboot repo (like on DENX or the mirror on github ) produces images named u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin when configured for machines like the LS1046ARDB.  The yocto-based NXP SDK checks out and builds the same uboot repo, but ends up calling the images something different, as you discovered.  I believe the SDK may also build the final images differently than the default uboot does.  The documentation was probably written for the original uboot repo without accounting for the renaming that happened in the SDK.

Creating LS1021A u-boot image to use with SD card 

/////////////////////////////////////

After I found this info, I tried to build the fully bootable u-boot binary using the instructions in the above 3 links  and instructions in Yocto QorIQ SDK v2.0-1703 Documentation. No luck.
I think some of the instructions for Yocto QorIQ SDK v2.0 are not the same for v2.7. So are the names of the built images. And as you know there is no similar document for v2.7 yet.

Next, I added u-boot parameters in the ls1043ardb.conf file as below

// Original parameters:
UBOOT_CONFIG ??= "tfa-secure-boot tfa"
UBOOT_CONFIG[tfa] = "ls1043ardb_tfa_defconfig,,u-boot-dtb.bin"
UBOOT_CONFIG[tfa-secure-boot] = "ls1043ardb_tfa_SECURE_BOOT_defconfig,,u-boot-dtb.bin"
//////////////////////////////
// My parameters for sdcard right after the Original parameters:
UBOOT_CONFIG = "sdcard"
UBOOT_CONFIG[sdcard] = "ls1043ardb_sdcard_defconfg,,u-boot-dtb.bin"
Rebuilt using bitbake. I see a few u-boot files with sdcard in their names built. Then I followed instructions in 
Personally I would like to debug this until I get it working because I have successfully built bootable SD cards for similar boards and I enjoyed it. But I have deadlines to meet so my hope is somebody in the NXP Community has successfully built a fully bootable SD card for LS1043ARDB running Yocto QorIQ SDK v2.7 and be kind enough to  pass on the instructions to me.
It would be great if you give me instructions that are specific enough so I can repeat the same result as opposed to vague not-very-specific instructions that might cost me a lot of time, going back and forth, but no result.
Example: What is the name of the bootable u-boot file, kernel file, and file system file ? u-boot should be written to 8K of the SD card, kernel to /dev/mmcblk0p1, file system to /dev/mmcblk0p2 ? /dev/mmcblk0p1 is VFAT, /dev/mmcblk0p2 is ext2 ? Etc.
Best,
Manh

how do i get u-boot-with-spl-pbl.bin?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Use the following page:

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/qoriq/qoriq-components/yocto-sdk/about/

Use the following commands for u-boot building:

bitbake -c cleansstate u-boot

bitbake -c patch u-boot // source of the u-boot is available using the following path:

// /yocto-sdk/build_ls1043ardb/tmp/work/ls1043ardb-fsl-linux/u-boot-qoriq/2018.03+fslgit-r0/git

bitbake -c compile -f u-boot

bitbake u-boot

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

manhnguyen1
Contributor I

Hi Pavel,

Thank you very much for your instruction.

I will give it a try and let you know.

Best,

Manh

0 Kudos