cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUX 11.0.0 - J-Link OpenSDA terms of use keeps appearing

Jump to solution
dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

This is more an annoyance than anything, but... for some reason, the J-Link terms of use keeps appearing when debugging my FRDM-K66F target, even when I click Accept.  Here's what's popping up:

jlink_terms_of_use.png

Now, I had an earlier problem where I couldn't get the debugger to connect at all to my FRDM-K66F, and solving that apparently required installing the latest version of the J-Link software (v6.46j); once I did that, I was able to launch a debug session.

However, at least once each day, I am presented with the above dialog during launch of a debug session.  If I click "Do not show this message again for today" and click Accept, then it goes away and doesn't come up again... until about 24 hours later.  (I haven't tried clicking Decline.)  If I don't click the checkbox before clicking Accept, then the next time I start a debug session, it pops up again.

Surely you didn't intend for this to appear every 24 hours at minimum?  Is this a SEGGER issue or an NXP issue?  I'm noting that the version number is "6.44i", which is the version that shipped with MCUX 11.0.0, not "6.46j", the version I most recently installed.  So presumably it's the MCUX-installed SEGGER/NXP software that's generating this dialog.  Any way to shut this up?  Thanks.

David R.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

This is a SEGGER dialog, and it comes from SEGGER. And it does exactly what you describe: it comes up every day (24 hour). So if you click 'do not show this message for *today*' it means that the dialog will not come up for the current day (or 24h, not sure).

You only get this dialog if you are using a 'free' or 'edu' version of SEGGER (e.g. OpenSDA, OEM or EDU version).

That dialog does not come up if using a 'normal' J-Link (Pro, Ultra, etc). So to get rid of that dialog use e.g. the J-Link Pro. The 'free' OpenSDA J-Link version is fine, but for anything more 'serious' or if I need better performance I use my Pro. And as a side benefit I don't get that dialog :-).

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

3 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In regards to your comment :

I'm noting that the version number is "6.44i", which is the version that shipped with MCUX 11.0.0, not "6.46j", the version I most recently installed

This relates to changes SEGGER have made with the installer provided for their latest releases, which are not compatible with the IDE's current SEGGER autodetection mechanism. This is described in the blog we published a couple of weeks ago:

Updating a SEGGER J-Link installation on Windows 

Regards

MCUXpresso IDE

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

This is a SEGGER dialog, and it comes from SEGGER. And it does exactly what you describe: it comes up every day (24 hour). So if you click 'do not show this message for *today*' it means that the dialog will not come up for the current day (or 24h, not sure).

You only get this dialog if you are using a 'free' or 'edu' version of SEGGER (e.g. OpenSDA, OEM or EDU version).

That dialog does not come up if using a 'normal' J-Link (Pro, Ultra, etc). So to get rid of that dialog use e.g. the J-Link Pro. The 'free' OpenSDA J-Link version is fine, but for anything more 'serious' or if I need better performance I use my Pro. And as a side benefit I don't get that dialog :-).

I hope this helps,

Erich

dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

I guess I feel a little better knowing that's by design and not another debugger issue.  Still... super annoying, SEGGER.  Thanks.

0 Kudos