What local.config was used to build the provided image?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What local.config was used to build the provided image?

vincx77
Contributor I

We have a i.MX 8 QuadMax MEK, and I'm trying to build the default image + package-management (rpm) + git + sudo. Problem is that I cannot even build a correct image that boots.

This is what I currently have:

# generated by fsl-setup-release.sh
MACHINE ??= 'imx8qxpmek'
DISTRO ?= 'fsl-imx-xwayland'
PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_rpm"
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES ?= "debug-tweaks"
USER_CLASSES ?= "buildstats image-mklibs image-prelink"
PATCHRESOLVE = "noop"
BB_DISKMON_DIRS ??= "\
    STOPTASKS,${TMPDIR},1G,100K \
    STOPTASKS,${DL_DIR},1G,100K \
    STOPTASKS,${SSTATE_DIR},1G,100K \
    STOPTASKS,/tmp,100M,100K \
    ABORT,${TMPDIR},100M,1K \
    ABORT,${DL_DIR},100M,1K \
    ABORT,${SSTATE_DIR},100M,1K \
    ABORT,/tmp,10M,1K"
PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-qemu-native = " sdl"
PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-nativesdk-qemu = " sdl"
CONF_VERSION = "1"

# some extra packages
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += " package-management"
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " rpm git sudo"

PACKAGE_FEED_URIS = "http://build-server.local:8000/repo/"
PACKAGE_FEED_BASE_PATHS = "rpm"
PACKAGE_FEED_ARCHS = "aarch64 aarch64_mx8 imx8qxpmek noarch"

# big machine with 32 cores.
BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "32"
PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 32"

# there was a parsing error when using "inherit extrausers", which was mentioned in various documents.
INHERIT += " extrausers"

# make sure ssh is not a problem by defining a non-empty password.
EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "usermod -P root root;"

DL_DIR ?= "${BSPDIR}/downloads/"
ACCEPT_FSL_EULA = "1"

These are the steps I did:

git config --global user.name "XXX"

git config --global user.email "xxx@xxx.xxx"

repo init -u https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-manifest -b imx-linux-sumo -m imx-4.14.78-1.0.0_ga.xml

repo sync

DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8qxpmek source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build-xwayland

bitbake fsl-image-qt5-validation-imx

There is one warning about a preferred package, no error.

The file ./imx-yocto-bsp/build-xwayland/tmp/deploy/images/imx8qxpmek/fsl-image-qt5-validation-imx-imx8qxpmek.sdcard.bz2 was then dd'ed to an sd-card of 16GB.

When booting with the provided image, two led-lights close to reset-button turn on continuously. When booting up, one led is flashing and the other one remains off - also the led next to the network-cable flashes. There is 0 output on the terminal. HDMI we did not get working with the provided image either, which is a separate problem.

All the above is gathered from various sources. Most from https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/i.MX_Yocto_Project_User%27s_Guide_Linux.pdf

Question 1: what is the local.conf that is used for building the provided image?

Question 2: given that image, is there something I did wrong?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

vincx77
Contributor I

It works now.

Still my question remains: what was the local.config used to make the image for the 16GB SD?

There are so many details not right yet, such as making sure the full SD-card space is used with IMAGE_ROOTFS_EXTRA_SPACE and IMAGE_ROOTFS_SIZE. I prefer to extend and not having to experiment+rebuild with every new discovery.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

maybe you can refer to the document as below:

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-105521 

0 Kudos

vincx77
Contributor I

I just noticed a problem: the machine "imx8qxpmek" is used, which I took from the documentation as "closest to what I need", assuming the recipe did select the required packages and not much more. This assumption is probably very wrong, as it does not boot.

When looking at machine\conf - meta-freescale - Layer containing NXP hardware support metadata (which I accidentally found) I found a lot more than when looking through sources/eta-freescale/conf/machine - that directory actually does not even mention imx8qxpmek. So I think the documentation https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/i.MX_Yocto_Project_User%27s_Guide_Linux.pdf chapter 5.1 needs to have the above link and not link to a incomplete directory.

It's still building using machine "imx8qmmek", so will only know later today if this step made it work.

0 Kudos

vincx77
Contributor I

Ok, the dd-step in full, something like this:

bunzip2 -dk -f fsl-image-qt5-validation-imx-imx8qxpmek.sdcard.bz2
sudo dd if=fsl-image-qt5-validation-imx-imx8qxpmek.sdcard | pv -s 2400M | sudo dd of=/dev/sdc bs=1M conv=fsync

A log-file would have helped me. As I currently only have a laptop available that runs Windows, I'm using Win32DiskImager for writing the image. As I'm more into Linux, I have no idea how to get to the log-file - neither found a resource to explain me that. So how do I read the log-file via Windows?

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I'm so confused with your questions, which detailed board do you use? you said you have  a i.MX 8 QuadMax MEK,but you build for imx8qxpmek? they are two different board totally, are you typo?

and for log file, on windlows, you can use putty.exe to get log file, sorry for my delay, becuase I want to build this image for you, and the network has some issue in my office for building, but I don't know what board you need to build, for imx8qm mek or imx8qxp mek?

0 Kudos

vincx77
Contributor I

The local.config for the SD-card provided with the i.MX 8 QuadMax MEK. You see in a later response that I got it working, as I finally found out what parts of the documentation I could trust.

I don't need it to be built - I only need that config-file.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

did you boot up the board from fsl-image-qt5-validation-imx-imx8qxpmek.sdcard.bz2 ? could you share the log file when the board booting up?

could you boot up from demo image successfully?

0 Kudos