cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX8M Camera commands

yashavanthashet
Contributor V

Hi,

Can u provide me the gst commands for i.MX8M mipi camera overlay and capture?

Using fsl-yocto-L4.9.51_mx8mq-ga release.

Thanks and Regards,

Yashavantha

8 Replies

yashavanthashet
Contributor V

Dear Bernhard,

Thank you for your reply.
dts implementation looks quite different since in i.MX8M csi_bridge is used but not in i.MX8QM.

Also driver path all differs as below.

i.MX8M - drivers/media/platform/mxc/capture/

i.MX8Q - drivers/media/platform/imx8/

Please clarify on this.

Test pattern displays properly on my display.

Thanks and Regards,

Yashavantha

bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Yashavantha,

if not the MIPI-CSI2 input, which sensor input interface do you use on the i.MX 8QM?

I don't have a data sheet for the IMX230, it seems it also supports a kind of RAW interface.

For the 8M you could enable more debug outputs in the CSI2 driver, in order to see if the sensor data is correctly received by the CSI2 port.

Regards,

Bernhard.

yashavanthashet
Contributor V

Hi Bernhard,

Thank you for your help.

We are using i.MX8M custom board which is having support for Sony IMX230 camera through mipi_csi1.

We have written the driver for same. The issue we are facing here is , when we run the below commands for camera overlay , runs without any error but nothing displays on LCD.

export DISPLAY=:0
gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src ! videoconvert ! autovideosink

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! waylandsink

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! video/x-raw,width=1280,height=720 ! waylandsink

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! 'video/x-raw,width=640,height=480,framerate=30/1' ! kmssink

When we probe MCLK its pulsing 25MHz, mipi_csi colck is pulsing, data pins also something is pulsing, but nothing displays. Same camera we have tested in i.MX8Q and it works there.
Do you have any inputs regarding this issue?

Best Regards,

Yashavantha

0 Kudos

bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Yashavantha,

the MIPI-CSI2 interface implementation is the same on i.MX 8QM and i.MX 8M, so you're driver should be fine if it already worked on the i.MX 8QM board.

There are maybe differences with the I2C port, this would require to change the dts file.

Could you first check with a test pattern if gst-launch-1.0 is able to get something on the display:

gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! videoconvert ! autovideosink

(or with waylandsink or kmssink)

Regards,

Bernhard.

0 Kudos

yashavanthashet
Contributor V

Hi,

Anyone know the commands?

Thanks and Regards,

Yashavantha

0 Kudos

bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

To check if your camera works you can do this:

Please use this 4.9.51 demo image:  fsl-image-qt5-validation-imx-xwayland-imx8mqevk.sdcard

There are two CSI2 connectors on the 8M-EVK from NXP, the one in the corner should work out of the box with this SD card image (proceed with $ gst-launch-1.0 ... ), for the other one you need to do this:

In the SD card partition with the dtb files:

• rename the file fsl-imx8mq-evk.dtb to original_fsl-imx8mq-evk.dtb
  • rename the file fsl-imx8mq-evk-mipi-csi2.dtb to fsl-imx8mq-evk.dtb

This enables the other CSI2 interface on the connector showing to the power connector.

Connect the camera to the CSI2 connector (the one you've chosen) and connect an HDMI display. Then switch on the board and boot Linux.

$ gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! waylandsink

You could use parameters to scale the camera window down to 640x480:

$ gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! video/x-raw,width=640,height=480 ! waylandsink

To record the stream into a file you normally use a video encoder. On the i.MX 8M such an encoder is software based and must be included into the image first. Please look into this thread for some information:

IMX8MQ video encoding capabilities  

Regards,

Bernhard.

yashavanthashet
Contributor V

Dear Bernhard,

Thank you.

Can I have the commands for capture the video using mipi camera and play the same video?

Best Regards,

Yashavantha

0 Kudos

bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Yashavantha,

our BSP demo image comes without picture or video encoders. The i.MX 8M has no hardware encoder support. That's why I added some information above.

In principle it is possible to display the camera stream and at the same time encode it and store it somewhere in a filesystem. But you need to invest some time first to include the encoder you want to use.

Regards,

Bernhard.