Problems porting an 8.2 project to 8.3

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems porting an 8.2 project to 8.3

Alberto_g
Contributor III

Hello, we have have a product that was developed with a registered 8.2 CW. 

We need to modify the code and since the original development PC is quite old, we tried to install the free 8.3 Special Edition. No error during compilation, but we are having big troubles with the IntFLASH Processor Expert component, the SetWordFlash function corrupts the flash memory.

The GetTxComplete function of AsynchroSerial does not work too, but we where able to get away without using it.

A quick test with 11.0 gave many compiler errors, so I guess it's not an option.

What is our best option?

- Is 8.2 available anymore? A free version of it would solve all of our troubles.

-Is it still possible to move our licence from the old PC to a virtual machine in a new PC?

-Does it make sense to try to solve the 8.3 Pracessor Expert Flash issue?

Best Regards

Alberto Garlassi

0 Kudos
6 Replies

j___
Contributor IV

Alberto,

NXP has an awful "sunset policy" for tools and SDKs. More appropriately, they have no "sunset policy". I have spoken to the FAEs and regional people about this for years to no avail. While catering to an embedded market, there seems to be a lack of understanding that many embedded products have long life cycles; We are not all working on cell phones that get replaced every few years.

For example, for automotive or industrial controls that need a small change in 10-15 years, due to a recall or process change, the developer will need to setup a PC with the same tools. Old PCs crash, IT departments change domains, so the original PC may not be available. Then add the fact that NXP still requires licensing of old tools and refuse to find licenses for old SDKs and you have a mess.

Even compiler update servers for CW10.7 don't work anymore. Good luck setting up their Eclipse tools in 10 years.

TI on the other hand, has all of the old tools, operating systems,  patches, and SDKs available. That is a REAL commitment to the embedded market.

It's too bad. But, I've figured by now that this will just be the way it is. You will find that sometimes other users on the forum can burn a copy of an old tool CD they have , or make an ISO, and send it too you. Make no mistake, there ARE copies of these discs somewhere inside NXP. It is impossible that there are zero legacy tool discs in the whole company world-wide. They just will not create and ISO and make it available

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi J...

NXP provides selective typical previous SW install package on NXP website, my account. But NOT all of them.

For the other old CW install package, if customers need, I suggest them submit a request. We will try to send it to the customers individually.

Thanks for your comment and concern. I will forward it to the person in charge.

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Alberto_g
Contributor III

Hello Jennie,

We were able to virtualize the old XP CW 8.2 environment and now everything is OK.

With 8.3 the SetWordFlash() function returned a Peripheral busy error or something similar, corrupting all the Flash block.

If this function was later called with the same data then writing was fine, strangely.

GetTxComplete() function of AsynchroSerial always returns False.

Sorry I can't be more detailed, we where quite scared by other possible regressions and for us the best option seems to be to stay with 8.2.

Thank you and best regards.

Alberto

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI Alberto Garlassi

I got CW for DSC v8.2 through internal channel. But it is almost 300M and I can't upload it here.

I suggest you create case, I can send it to you with Transweb.

How to submit a new question for NXP Support 

Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Alberto,

I contacted person in charge. If there is any chance to acquire v8.2, I will let you know.

Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Alberto Garlassi,

CW8.2 is no longer available for both internal and external download. only CW8.3 is available.

You can rehost your license to another computer. see this article

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-103345 

I don't know what specific error you have, can you post screenshots of it?

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos