Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need replacement for MC9S12DG128C micro controller

Jump to solution
arunrajk
Contributor I

Hi,

In my current project i am using MC9S12DG128C micro controller. I want to replace the controller for below reasons.

1. As per the search result i came to know the controller going to obsolete. 

2. the cost of the controller is high.

For this reasons i planned change the controller. Any one can suggest me the replacement for this controller with same architecture and also a low cost.

Thanks,

Arunraj K.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
lama
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The anser is really not easy. It would be easier to decide on the basis of your application requirements.

There is no direct replacement if I take into account internal structure. The device is "relatively" old. From the time when these devices were occupied major part of S12 devices market the evolution has brought:

S12XD family

S12XE family

Simplified devices from S12XE family S12XS, S12G, S12P

Present Magni V family

Compatibility is not easy, the closes compatibility is to a S12XD family

Price....Newer devices are cheaper.

Good also to mention product longevity program

The S12XD family is not in the product longevity program but still active. This is the easiest substitution. https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/additional-processors-and-mcus/8-16-bit...

Much harder porting code because of different memory map, principles, emulate eeprom,…. is to switch to S12XE family.

I have also attached  application notes about compatibility.

A lot of ctms uses simplified S12G family devices, however, some changes, especially related to memory map approach has to be considered.

S12G Optimized MCU |16-bit MCUs|NXP 

We also presented a lot of examples for S12XE and S12G devices which could help and simplify porting for a new design.

Finally Magni V devices. if you use CAN, LIN, Motor control then one of the devices could be suitable for you because these devices contains also transceivers and drivers integrated on the chip. Moreover, they can be suplied directly from 12V.S12 MagniV® Mixed-Signal MCUs for Automotive and Industrial|NXP 

https://www.nxp.com/products/product-information/product-longevity:PRDCT_LONGEVITY_HM

15 YEARS GUARANTEED LONGEVITY FROM:

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12X         S12XS                    Sep-09

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12X         S12XHY                 Dec-10

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12            S12Px                    Jul-09

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12            S12G                      Oct-10

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12            S12HYx                 Oct-09

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12            S12Px                    Jul-09

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12X         S12XE                    Sep-09

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12X         S12XF                    Mar-09

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12X         S12XHY                 Dec-10

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12X         S12XS                    Sep-09

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12 MagniV           S12VR64               Dec-11

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12 MagniV           S12ZVC                 Apr-15

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12 MagniV           S12ZVL                  Jan-15

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12 MagniV           S12ZVM               Mar-14

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12 MagniV           S12ZVMB             Jul-17

Best regards,

Ladislav

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
arunrajk
Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for proving the documents. No problem about the quality i will do it my own risk. 

I think the shared documents are very useful to get idea about the controller portability.

Once again thanks for support. 

Arunraj K.

0 Kudos
lama
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

So, a few S12Z examples, you need a newer version of the CodeWarriror - Eclipse to be able to debug them. No quarantee just copy paste.

BR

Ladislav

0 Kudos
lama
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Almost all examples are mine, I have not sorted them just copy paste. Also have to mention there is no guarantee.

S12G Examples Pack 

LAMA's S12XE unofficial examples 

S12X Examples Pack 

For s12XD family I would have to go through my PC and complete a package. I would not present them here, they do not hyave standardized form.

XD just fast copy paste action...see attachment

In the case of S12Z I would have to ask a colleague of mine because I have a few but absolutely not sure about quality. 

Ladislav

0 Kudos
lama
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The anser is really not easy. It would be easier to decide on the basis of your application requirements.

There is no direct replacement if I take into account internal structure. The device is "relatively" old. From the time when these devices were occupied major part of S12 devices market the evolution has brought:

S12XD family

S12XE family

Simplified devices from S12XE family S12XS, S12G, S12P

Present Magni V family

Compatibility is not easy, the closes compatibility is to a S12XD family

Price....Newer devices are cheaper.

Good also to mention product longevity program

The S12XD family is not in the product longevity program but still active. This is the easiest substitution. https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/additional-processors-and-mcus/8-16-bit...

Much harder porting code because of different memory map, principles, emulate eeprom,…. is to switch to S12XE family.

I have also attached  application notes about compatibility.

A lot of ctms uses simplified S12G family devices, however, some changes, especially related to memory map approach has to be considered.

S12G Optimized MCU |16-bit MCUs|NXP 

We also presented a lot of examples for S12XE and S12G devices which could help and simplify porting for a new design.

Finally Magni V devices. if you use CAN, LIN, Motor control then one of the devices could be suitable for you because these devices contains also transceivers and drivers integrated on the chip. Moreover, they can be suplied directly from 12V.S12 MagniV® Mixed-Signal MCUs for Automotive and Industrial|NXP 

https://www.nxp.com/products/product-information/product-longevity:PRDCT_LONGEVITY_HM

15 YEARS GUARANTEED LONGEVITY FROM:

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12            S12G                      Oct-10

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12            S12HYx                 Oct-09

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12X         S12XE                    Sep-09

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12X         S12XF                    Mar-09

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12 MagniV           S12VR64               Dec-11

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12 MagniV           S12ZVC                 Apr-15

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12 MagniV           S12ZVL                  Jan-15

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12 MagniV           S12ZVM               Mar-14

Microcontrollers               16-bit S12 MagniV           S12ZVMB             Jul-17

Best regards,

Ladislav

0 Kudos
arunrajk
Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. your reply is very useful to choose the micro controller. 

"We also presented a lot of examples for S12XE and S12G devices which could help and simplify porting for a new design"

If you have exapmles for S12XE and S12G devices please share it is useful for us. 

Thanks,

Arunraj K.

0 Kudos