cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QSPI Boot in i.MXRT EVKB

anjalikkrishna
Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to flash the image to QSPI and the IDE which I am using is MCUXpresso and the tool is FLASHLOADER

There are few observations which I would like to share before asking my questions

I have EVK and EVKB boards with me. And to flash image to QSPI I am following these links

https://translate.google.co.in/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://www.yza.jp/tblog/2018/03/21/rt1050-fl... 

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12108.pdf 

Observations :

EVK

1. The hello world SDK project for EVK does not have xip folder . The elf file is converted and sb file by following the steps in the shared link and the QSPI boot is successful.

EVKB

1. The hello world SDK project for EVKB has a xip folder . The elf file is converted to sb file by following the steps in the shared link and the QSPI boot is unsuccessful.

2. The xip folder in the EVKB hello world source code is removed and the elf file is converted to sb file by following the steps in the shared link and the QSPI boot is succesful.

Moving to my question now.

1. Why xip folder present in EVKB SDK example not in EVK SDK example.?

2. How the QSPI boot became successful after deleting the xip folder in EVKB?

3.  My project is GUI based and emWin is being used . While creating new project with emWin , xip driver should be included,or else "Unsatisfied components dependencies! " error occurs. Whether emWin and xip is co-related?

4.Is there any other way to flash EVKB SDK examples with xip folder [Since emwin is used] to QSPI ? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Anjalik Krishna,

All the questions are related with different SDK versions and DAP-Link versions.

I guess your SDK for EVK baord is SDKv2.3.0,  for EVKB board is SDKv2.3.1 or later.

"

• Early versions of the DAPLink firmware were setup to work with a raw application binary like those generated by the SDK 2.3.0 for toolchains other than the MCUXpresso IDE. These versions will take the raw application binary and prepend the flash configuration block for the HyperFlash/QSPI and an IVT to make a bootable image.
  • Newer version of the DAPLink firmware are setup to work with a complete bootable binary like those generated by SDK 2.3.1 and later. These versions will not attempt to prepend a flash configuration block and IVT to the application, because these are assumed to already be present.

"

So please try upgrading your DAPLink on EVKB to latest versoin.

The latest version of firmware can be downloaded from www.nxp.com/opensda

About how to check DAPlink version and detail , pleasr have a look at  i.MX RT1050 CMSIS-DAP drag-and-drop programming 

About programing EVKB board you can also refer to :

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-340762 

Hope it helps,

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

anjalikkrishna
Contributor III

Hi Alice ,

Thanks for the reply.

"I guess your SDK for EVK baord is SDKv2.3.0,  for EVKB board is SDKv2.3.1 or later."

Yes . You are right.

As u said 

About programing EVKB board you can also refer to :

Programming i.MXRT with MCUXpresso IDE and BOOT 

I checked the DAPlink firmware version in the EVKB board . It is the latest one.

GIT SHA detail is matching with the given below

EVKB_A1MK20b3435dbed0ba4f09680e49d2fcfdaab32c7a4c71DAPLink will NOT add FCB and IVT

The below steps are working fine to flash hello world  sb image to EVKB board after removing xip folder in the source code[which I do not want to do in my final work]

1. Unchecked the "Link Application to RAM" and built the application 

2. Converted the afx file to .bin using the below command

elftosb.exe -f imx -V -c ../../bd_file/imx10xx/imx-flexspinor-normal-unsigned.bd -o hello_world.bin hello_world.axf

3. Convert hello_world_nopadding.bin to boot_image.sb. 

elftosb.exe -f kinetis -V -c ../../bd_file/imx10xx/program_flexspinor_image_qspinor.bd  -o boot_image.sb  hello_world_nopadding.bin

4. Flashed the boot_image.sb to the EVKB board using MFGTOOL which came along with the FLASHLOADER package after switching the EVKB board to serial downloader mode

5. Switched the EVKB board to QSPI boot and hello world appeared on the terminal.

Since I need to select emWin as middleware the xip cannot be skipped under drivers during new project creation which will be finally flashed to QSPI ,the question arises

When the FCB and IVT are not prepended by the latest firmware in my EVKB board and this process is done by the SDK [I hope my understanding is correct],whether above steps are valid for afx file generated by SDK 2.3.1 and later?

Thanks & Regards,

Anjali

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Anjali,

1) “When the FCB and IVT are not prepended by the latest firmware in my EVKB board and this process is done by the SDK [I hope my understanding is correct],whether above steps are valid for afx file generated by SDK 2.3.1 and later?

As to the SDK 2.3.1 and later projects and its generated *.bin file include XIP files that
add FCB and IVT information , it is a image can download directly through MfgTool, do not need step2 and step3,

just refer to the " 3.4 Using MFGTool burning HyperFlash with BOOT" of Programming i.MXRT with MCUXpresso IDE and BOOT   .

2)“The below steps are working fine to flash hello world  sb image to EVKB board after removing xip folder in the source code[which I do not want to do in my final work]

You needn't remov the xip folder , it includes the FCB and IVT, and the steps2 and steps3 just instead of the function of

add FCB , IVT, and convert to .bin file .(Just use the method 1) mentioned. )

Hope it helpsl,

Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

anjalikkrishna
Contributor III

Hi Alice,

Thank You for the reply.

I converted the afx file of emWin application to bin file using

MCUXpresson IDE and then copied the same under OS firmware of MFGTOOL

and changed the cfg.ini file to support QSPI flashing

"MXRT105x-DevBootSerialFlashXiP" . But the MFGTOOL failed to start. No

other changes are made in the emWin application. It is the SDK demo

example.

Thanks & Regards,

Anjali

On 05.07.2018 05:27, Alice_Yang wrote:

NXP COMMUNITY

RE: QSPI BOOT IN I.MXRT EVKB

reply from Alice_Yang in MCUXpresso IDE - View the full discussion

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Anjalik Krishna,

I find your  the same case about your emWin application question on the thread

https://community.nxp.com/thread/479380 

Some expets give suggestion on there , please have a look, also I will continue monitor that thread .

BR

Alice

0 Kudos