cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Open freedom_bootloader to flash onto board

Jump to solution
burgeh
Contributor IV

I am having issues opening freedom_bootloader using the KDS v3.2. I am trying to follow this post Trouble with FRDM-K22 and Kinetis Flash Tool | NXP Community any suggestions? I get this error. It is also in the directory.

pastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_1.png

But I am unable to open up that file to edit it. Also I need to flash that freedom_bootloader file onto my K22 FRDM board correct? Should I use my JLINK segger or the KinetisFlashTool to do this? After that is complete, I just use the KinetisFlashTool to point to the binary file I want to use and update then?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Christopher Burg,

1. KDS open k22 freedom_bootloader problem.

Please delete your bootloader2.0, then unzip a new one at first.

Then open the KDS IDE, note, choose the workspace path in NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0, don't select the workspace path in the project area.

Now, import the project under: NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\targets\MK22F51212\kds\freedom_bootloader

I have tested it, it works OK on our side.

2. Download

You can use the KDS download the bootloader code to your FRDM-K22 board at first with JLINK.

KinetisFlashTool is used to download the app code after you already download the bootloader code to your K22.

Please try it again.

If you still have question about it, please kindly let me know!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Christopher Burg,

1. KDS open k22 freedom_bootloader problem.

Please delete your bootloader2.0, then unzip a new one at first.

Then open the KDS IDE, note, choose the workspace path in NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0, don't select the workspace path in the project area.

Now, import the project under: NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\targets\MK22F51212\kds\freedom_bootloader

I have tested it, it works OK on our side.

2. Download

You can use the KDS download the bootloader code to your FRDM-K22 board at first with JLINK.

KinetisFlashTool is used to download the app code after you already download the bootloader code to your K22.

Please try it again.

If you still have question about it, please kindly let me know!

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

burgeh
Contributor IV

Thank you that worked well for my K22 FRDM board,

I have one more question, I am using the MK22FN256LH12 chip on a custom board with KDS 3.2 and Processor Expert, how do I enable my bootloader to read from my defined USB port? I'm a little confused as to how the system will be able to use the USB software from Processor Expert while it is in it's bootloader mode, in order to update my user application.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Christopher,

Do you mean you want to download the app which is generated by the kds3.2 and PE?

If yes, please generate the .bin file for your app, then use the kinetisFlashTool, choose the USB HID function to download the code, more details, you can check the KBOOT2.0 doc, there has a document about the kinetisFlashtool.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
burgeh
Contributor IV

No, I'm saying for my own MK22FN256LH12 chip that I made on a PCB. Therefore like the FREEDOM_BOOTLOADER won't work, I have data lines for a USB through GPIO, but don't I need to use a USB HID component from processor expert to be able to communicate with the USB? Then when I put the chip into boot mode, how will it be able to know the communication interface (since the processor expert part will not be intitialized/started yet)? Should I use flashloader, flashloader_loader, or tower_bootloader?

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Christopher,

Please check my reply in your another post:

Custom K22FN256LH12 Bootloader 

You can still use the freedom bootloader code, this code already contains the HID function, I have tested it in our FRDM-K22 board, it works OK.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos