cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with USB/OpenSDA interface on FRDM-KEAZ128

Jump to solution
adamjohnson
Contributor I

I purchased a FRDM-KEAZ128Q80 from DigiKey. The OpenSDA portion of the board appears to be nonfunctional. The demos work if I connect a 12V source, but connecting a USB cable doesn't power the board or enumerate with a computer. When connected only to USB, I can probe that power is getting to the OpenSDA MCU, but the main power busses are not on. Is my board just defective, or am I missing something obvious?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adam,

Do yo check my reply in May 14, 2018 11:28 PM? In the bottom of this post.

Your driver didn't work, so please install the P&E driver again, follow my reply in May 14, 2018 11:28 PM.

Are you sure the USB port and cable which you are using can work? Please use the U Disc check the USB port, and you can plug another device with your USB cable, make sure both the USB port and the cable works.

Besides, in your video, I can't see the device manager clearly, please give me picture, just like my reply in May 14, 2018 11:28 PM. I need 4 points information in the device manager. You also can try another win7 system PC. At first, you need install the P&E driver.

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adam,

I know what the root problem on your side now, it should be the PC driver problem, you board may not install the driver successfully.

Now, use the rev B board from mouser.

Please don't modify your newest board,  find two win7 system PC, then follow me to test it now.

1. Install the P&E driver in your two win7 system

http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=53 

2. Check J107, make sure it is in 2,3.

3. Plug the USB cable, can you find something is installing? This install need time, note, need time, you need to wait.

pastedImage_2.png

4. After the install is successfully, check the device management, please also give me your device management picture, this is my picture:

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

Please check it right now.

I have checked again on my side, if the PC driver is not installed for the new board, it will have the same issue as you.

Actually, the K20 work need the PC USB install the driver successfully, otherwise, both K20 and KEA128 won't work in the FRDM-KEA128 board.

Please check it.

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
mahmoudsherrah
Contributor III

OK I'm sorry, I completely overlooked the board that you are using.

a. In order to enter OpenSDA bootloader mode: unplug the USB cable, hold the reset switch and plug into USB again. If you have the drivers installed, it should show up as a removable storage in file explorer. Open SDA_INFO.HTML to check the status of your bootloader (version etc.). Anyway I think this should work since you say P5V_SDA and P3V3_SDA have power.

VOUT (pin 6 of MIC2005) is the source of power which the "really important" jumper J107 feeds from.

pastedImage_2.png

In order to enable this chip, it either needs POWER_EN (logic signal coming from OpenSDA interface) or R70 to be populated. The default scenario is that R70 is not populated (DNP) and that OpenSDA enables power. That's why I wanted you to try a different bootloader, maybe it was a bad batch they received at Digikey.

So after you double check that J107 connects (2 and 3), please compare your board to the above schematic and report back.

0 Kudos
adamjohnson
Contributor I

Mahmoud,

The board doesn't appear at all when I hold down RESET and connect it to the computer. R70 is not populated on my board. Using a DMM I see that U11 has a 5V supply on pin 1, but POWER_EN is driven to 0V.

When I connect a 12V supply and move J107 to connect 1-2, both boards run the demo code. If the jumper is in 2-3, D1 and D3 come on:

IMG_2640.JPG

here's a video of board running demo code (only works w/ 12V power connected):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PuXFBpkV8ZpuaP5Y8ZpzQ2cPBBThjnn8/view?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adam Johnson

I highly suggest you follow my step to change the on board bootloader at first, because I find the POWER_EN is controlled by the MK20DX128VFM5:

pastedImage_1.png

So, try to change the bootloader in my last reply, at least it works on my side.

Besides, my FRDM-KEA128 board version is REV B, do you use the same version?

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
adamjohnson
Contributor I

Also, my boards are revision B1.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Please also check J104, you need to connect pin 1,2, NOT 2,3.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
adamjohnson
Contributor I

Kerry,

I tried following your instructions step by step. When I hold down Reset and plug in the USB cable, the BOOTLOADER drive doesn’t show up. Nothing happens at all. Therefore, I can’t change the Bootloader. Is there another way to change it? Alternately, will NXP exchange these for functioning boards? Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adam,

Do you install the P&E driver in win7?

When you first plug the board, you need to wait a moment, because the PC need to install it, run the driver automatically.

So when your enter bootloader mode, can you find any USB device is installing?

Please also check the PC device manager, this is my situation:

pastedImage_2.png

You can also post your according picture.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
adamjohnson
Contributor I

Kerry,

I did install the P&E driver in windows 7 per your instructions. As you can see in my video from above,(https://drive.google.com/file/d/11OEOkk-AXcoV-C5sa_Y-b12mdOltZTeQ/view?usp=sharing) nothing appears in Device Manager when I hold down reset and plug in either board. I have J107 set to 2-3 and J104 set to 1-2.

Is there another way to load the bootloader onto the boards? If not, can you exchange them for working ones? Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your updated information.

From your video, it seems your board really have the problem.

Please use DMM test these points just with USB cable plug in:

1. P5V_SDA, from your previous reply, you already have 5V, please double check it with USB cable plug in.

pastedImage_1.png

2. SDA_VOUT33

Please test the J9, do you have the 3.3V output?

pastedImage_2.png

3. Test POWER_EN

pastedImage_3.png

4. Please check D2

it seems your D2 didn't blinking.

After you test it, please give me reply.

In the meanwhile, I will contact with our according department, check whether there any difference between FRDM-KEA128 revB and revB1, because I just have rev B on my side.

Any updated information on my side, I will also let you know.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
adamjohnson
Contributor I

Hey Kerry,

I re-checked these measurements on both boards while connected only to USB:

P5V_SDA measured at L1 shows 5 V

SDA_VOUT33 measured at J9 shows 3.3V

POWER_EN measured at R69 shows 0V.

Let me know what you think about this....I've ordered another board, this time from Mouser. I'm going to see if I get different results from that one.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your test result.

From your test result, the problem still in the on board K20 chip side, it seems the on board K20 program didn't work, because you even can't enter in the BOOTLOADER mode, don't worry, I already check it with our according department, I am also waiting for the response now, because I don't have the rev B1 board like you, then I also buy a new board, and waiting for the new board now, just want to check, whether all the rev B1 have this problem.

After you get the new board from Mouser, please test it with WIN7 system at first, don't use win10. Then tell me the test result.

Any updated information on my side, I will let you know ASAP, please keep patient, thanks a lot for your understanding. And sorry for the inconvenience we bring you.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
adamjohnson
Contributor I

Kerry,

I received the board from Mouser, and it has the same issue as the other two. Demo works fine from the 12V supply, but plugging in the USB cable does nothing. I only attached this to a Windows 7 machine that already had the drivers on it. This one is a rev b, not b1. I'm attaching photos of the labels from all three boards. Tried several different microUSB cables and several PCs (and Macs) at this point. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but it's not clear what it is. Let me know what the next step is.

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your updated information, that's strange with rev B, because rev B works Ok on my side.

Now, please try to enter the bootloader again with your revB board.

Please note, power off the board, then hold on the reset button, hold on it, plug the usb cable, don't release the reset button, wait about 10 seconds without release the reset button, then check the PC , can you find the BOOTLOADER device or not?

pastedImage_2.png

Please also check your device manager, whether there has the new USB controllers?

pastedImage_1.png

Please try it now.

I also think it may have some other problems, if revB also have problems on your side.

Besides, do you install the P&E driver before? this is also important.

Any updated information please let me know.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
adamjohnson
Contributor I

Tried to start into the bootloader with the new board, doesn't work. Here's a video:

IMG_2724.MOV - Google Drive 

(There is a mass storage device in Device Manager, but that's an internal card reader on my PC, not the FRDM board)

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adam,

Do yo check my reply in May 14, 2018 11:28 PM? In the bottom of this post.

Your driver didn't work, so please install the P&E driver again, follow my reply in May 14, 2018 11:28 PM.

Are you sure the USB port and cable which you are using can work? Please use the U Disc check the USB port, and you can plug another device with your USB cable, make sure both the USB port and the cable works.

Besides, in your video, I can't see the device manager clearly, please give me picture, just like my reply in May 14, 2018 11:28 PM. I need 4 points information in the device manager. You also can try another win7 system PC. At first, you need install the P&E driver.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
adamjohnson
Contributor I

Kerry,

It seems it was the driver. I had installed the driver previously, but I didn't restart after installation. This time, I did, and the board finally came up. I've since updated the bootloader on all three boards, and they seem to be working properly. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
mahmoudsherrah
Contributor III

Glad you finally worked it out!

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Adam Johnson,

It's really good to hear all your boards works now. 

Actually, it is still the driver problem, back to the original reply.

Anyway, congratulations!

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
adamjohnson
Contributor I

Also, I'm open to shipping one or all of my boards to you for analysis, if we need to do that.

0 Kudos