Adaware Antivirus kills MCUXpresso IDE

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaware Antivirus kills MCUXpresso IDE

carstenkanstrup
Contributor II

When I try to launch a newly installed MCUXpresso on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PC, the file: MCUXpressoIDE_10.1.1_606\ide\mcuxpressoide.exe is killed by the latest version of Adaware Antivirus 12.3.909.11573 (Bitdefender engine and definition files), so the IDE is not loaded. It may be a false positive, but I don't want to bed on that and switch Adaware off every time MCUXpresso should be used - especially because MCUXpresso seems to contain 3rd party software and is not downloaded from an NXP server, but from a general purpose download site, which may be infected.

Any ideas what to do?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

carstenkanstrup
Contributor II

Yes, I know that case and has also referred to that on the other thread Debug problems on MIMXRT1050-EVK . I have reported the problem to Adaware (hopefully the mcuxpressoide.exe file gets through). Let us see if they can find out if it is a false positive or MCUXpresso is doing something suspicious, which it ought not to do. Anti virus programs must respond to suspicious behavior to be able to detect previously unknown viruses, but this also put some demands on the programmers, who must do everything by the book to prevent a false positive detection. 

Since others - except for that thread - have not seen similar problems and we also have MCUXpresso running on a Windows 10 laptop with the same version of Adaware without any virus warnings, it is probably a false positive. Unfortunately, Adaware has no way to mark a given file as safe, so I would have to switch off the real time protection every time I would use MCUXpresso and this is an unacceptable solution, as it will also disable the real time protection for everything else running on the computer.

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi ,

As the MCUxpresso IDE expert said on Bitdefender marks MCUXpresso IDE as a virus 

"Virus scanning on systems we have here are not showing any such issues (though we aren't using Bitdefender). If your are still seeing problems, I suggest you try again to prevent the scan of the IDE."

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos