Processor Expert Software is a development system to create, configure, optimize, migrate, and deliver software components that generate source code for Freescale silicon.
The main features of PEx are:
- Extensive and comprehensive knowledgebase for all supported silicon encapsulating all pins, registers, etc.
- Silicon resource conflicts flagged at design time, allowing early correction
- Simple creation of peripheral drivers without reading silicon documentation
- Easy integration of an RTOS with peripheral drivers
- The generated drivers have a cross-platform API that allows easy migration among supported processors.
The user builds an application or library using a wide range of basic building block called Embedded components covering all common tasks (for example, serial communication, timers, ADC, DAC, digital I/O etc.). These components can be configured in graphical user interface and Processor Expert generate a C source code of initialization and runtime control drivers of the processor and its peripherals.
Processor Expert is available:
- Integrated with CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers
- As a standalone package called Microcontroller Driver Suite. It supports Kinetis and ColdFire+ microcontrollers. It does not include a compiler or linker and can be used with other non-CodeWarrior IDEs.
- Integrated with Kinetis Design Stuido (KDS)
For more details, refer to the Freescale website http://www.freescale.com/processorexpert.