Two of our interns this summer, Driss and Théophile, worked within a week to develop a connected beehive.
Here is the approach:
Module 1 (play): Using Atmosphere only, develop a Beehive monitoring app with following features:
- Temperature and humidity posted to the Atmosphere cloud.
- Light detection to warn owner about somebody opening the roof of his beehouse or that it flew off.
- Gyroscope threshold detection for somebody stealing a beehouse (that becomes an issue in France). Will trigger an alarm on app if beehive is moved.
Module 2 (tinker) : Using click modules and MCUXpresso:
- Using a NFC reader module on the docking station, allow the user to record his/her behavior using tags (extract honey, observe bee queen, etc.)
- Transfer these operations on a cloud via a Wifi module to record operations without having to note time and what operations were performed.
Module 3 (develop): Out of the blue with MCUXpresso:
- Use Rapid Iot to build a scale and report the weight of the beehouse on the kit display (+ Load cell, docking station and an amp + ADC)
The approach was modular where each module is working with its dedicated kit – but can be integrated into a single kit.
All 3 modules were delivered in less than a week by Théo and Driss, which demonstrated that Rapid IoT prototyping kit is capable of taking an idea and turning it into a real product fast.
Check out the attached video to meet our interns!
What is even better is no bees were harmed throughout this process.