NXP MCORE48/64/100 Evaluation Board + Demo Code

Document created by jorge_plascencia Employee on Apr 25, 2016Last modified by jorge_plascencia Employee on Apr 27, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Introduction

The MicroCore48/64/100 has been developed to evaluate, test and demonstrate general purpose Microcontrollers from NXP Semiconductors.  The Microcore48/64/100 demo, evaluation and test board supports NXP’s 100 pin (or less) Cortex M0/M0+/M3 based microcontrollers (LPC800, LPC1100, LPC1200, LPC1300, LPC1500 and LPC2100 family).  Special adapter boards are available to support a wide range of ARM Cortex based microcontrollers in different packages, like:

• LPC81x
  • LPC111x, LPC11A1x, LPC11Cxx, LPC11E1x and LPC11Uxx
  • LPC131x and LPC134x
  • LPC151x and LPC154x

Main features of the MicroCore48/64/100

- Wide supply range of 0V to 3.6V

o Via primary USB (Vbus) 3.3V

o Via secondary USB (Virtual COMM Port) 3.3V

o Via pins (f.i lab supply) 0 - 3.6V

- Additional supply of 1.8V available

- Exchangeable external crystal

- Every pin of the Microcontroller contains a measure point and jumpers to (dis)connect it from the on-board peripherals

- Serial In-System Programming (ISP) is possible

- One RS232 buffered serial communication interface is provided to connect the MicroCore48 to a PC (or terminal)

- USB communication port interface is implemented

o Soft or hardware USB connect possibility

- USB to serial (Virtual COMM port) interface is implemented

- I2C bus I/O expander and 256 bytes EEPROM is implemented

- SPI bus Real Time Clock with temperature sensor, watchdog, time stamp and internal crystal is implemented

- SPI bus RF module for wireless communication is implemented

- CAN bus interface is implemented

- Digital IO is implemented

o 3 push buttons, one with RC network and one for external RESET

o 8 LED’s (connected to I2C I/O expander)

- Analogue inputs to micro’s AD converter

o 10k potentiometer is implemented to divide the 3.3V Vdd

o Photo transistor for ambient light sensing

MCORE64.preview.jpg

Functional Blocks

NXP’s Microcontroller
Central part of the MicroCore64 board is the microcontroller. It can be mounted directly (at the LQFP64 footprint), with a test socket from Yamaichi type: IC149-064-69-B5 or with the use of an adapter board placed over headers X1, X3, X5 and X7. Every pin of the micro contains a  measure point and a jumper (at X2, X4, X6 and X8). This allows the user to connect or disconnect every single pin from the on-board peripherals and power signals.

RS232
The MicroCore64 contains a MAX3232CSE device and a 9-pin sub D connector for the RS232 interface between a PC (terminal emulator) and the on-chip UART of the microcontroller. The RS232 port can be directly connected to a PC COMx port with a standard serial cable, with a female 9 pin sub D connector. Note that jumpers J2 and J3 have to be set correctly.

I2C
The MicroCore64 kit also contains an NXP - PCA9500 I/O expander and 256 bytes EEPROM with I2C bus interface. The PCA9500's I2C address is determined by both a fixed on-chip mask address and by external hardware wired links on the MicroCore64. These hardware wired links are all grounded, resulting in an I2C device address for the IO expander of 0x40 and an I2C device address for the EEPROM of 0xA0 All (eight) I/O port pins are used to drive LEDs. These are also connected to pin header X11, to optionally connect the LEDs directly to port pins of the Microcontroller.

SPI0
The MicroCore64 kit contains an NXP - PCF2129A device (RTC) with SPI interface, connected to the on-chip SSP0 interface of the microcontroller. SCK is connected to pin 41, SDI to pin 37 and SDO to pin 36. Chip Enable (Slave Select) is software controlled and connected to pin 34. The PCF2129A Interrupt output, Clock output and the Time Stamp input are available at 3 pin header P4.

SPI1
The board contains a connector (X15) for an RFM12 module from Hope. This module is a low cost ISM band FSK transceiver module implemented with unique PLL. It works within signal ranges from 315/433/868/915MHZ bands and complies with FCC and ETSI regulations. The SPI interface, used to interface with a microcontroller for parameter settings, is connected to the on-chip SSP1 interface (if available). SCK is connected to pin 57, MOSI is connected to pin 51 and MISO is connected to pin 35. SS_RFM is connected to pin 49. The interrupt request output is connected to pin 50. For more info about the RFM12 module visit: http://www.hoperf.com/rf_fsk/cob/RFM12.htm.

USB (device)
Some micro’s like the LPC1347 and LPC11U24 do have an on-chip USB device controller. For that reason the board contains a USB interface to connect it to a host. Next to a USB type B connector a switch for the soft connect feature of the micro is provided (Q1 – PDTA114 plus yellow LED D10). VBUS of this interface can be used to supply power to the MicroCore64 (check J1).

Power
The Microcore64 board can be powered in three ways. Either using VBUS (5V) of one of the two USB connectors (jumper J1 to determine, see figure above), or directly (using a lab supply) at the center pin of J1 or at the 3V3 and GND header pins (P2 and P3). If powered over VBUS then green LED D1 indicates power present. To support LPC2100 parts an additional 1V8 supply is available at the board (P7).

MCORE64_Block_diagram.jpg

XTAL
The external crystal is mounted on a 3 pin female header (Y1). Middle pin is connected to GND for easy interchanging crystals or resonators. The load capacitors C4 and C5 can be replaced by other ones by unsoldering/soldering.

USB (VCP)
The board contains an FT232RL device from FTDI to provide a USB virtual com port interface between a host PC and the on-chip UART of the micro. Note that jumpers J2 and J3 have to be set correctly. VBUS2 can be used to power the MicoCore64. VBUS2 is also used to generate a 1V8 supply, available at P7. This supply is needed to support LPC2100 devices (like LPC2129).

CAN bus
Parts like the LPC2119 have an on-chip CAN interface. To support CAN the board contains a TJA1040 CAN transceiver and a 9 pin male sub D connector. To connect the CAN pins of the micro pin header P5 can be used. To bypass the transceiver (for example with an LPC11C24) pin header P6 can be used.

Analog Inputs
The MicroCore48 board contains a 10k potentiometer (R20) to provide an analog input to the micro. This input is available at pin 44 of the micro (AD1 input). A second analog input signal is generated by a photo transistor (Q2 - BPW85C) and is available at pin 45 of the micro (AD2 input). This input can be used as a light sensor.

RESET, BOOT and WAKE UP
The MicroCore64 contains three pushbuttons. S1 (plus RC network) used as RESET, S2 used as BOOT (to force the micro into ISP mode) and S3 connected to pin 53 of the micro (could for example be used to wake up the micro from a power reduction mode).

LED Indicators
Besides the eight red LEDs connected to the I2C IO expander the MicroCore64 contains two additional red LEDs (D11 and D12) connected to pin 14 and pin 15 of the microcontroller.

SWD (Serial Wired Debug)
The MicroCore64 is equipped with the commonly used 10 pin SWD connector. The debug interfaces from Keil uLink and IAR / Segger JLink can be used with this board. For evaluation of LPC2100 devices a separate JTAG connector is provided at the socket adapter board.

Outcomes