iWave has now enabled the new Hotspot feature in Android ICS 4.0.4 on iMX6 Qseven board. Internet Sharing is one of the most popular concepts in wireless communication today. A device having Data Pack can share its internet connectivity with other devices, this feature is known as 'Hotspot'.
By enabling Hotspot in i.MX6 Q7 evaluation board we can use the board an Access Point. Once the Device is enabled with Hotspot, all other devices (we'll call it as client devices) within the minimum coverage range will get Network SSID in their Available wireless network's list. Once connected, client devices will be provided with the internet access.
Android allows tethering only if the device is provided with mobile data pack or through Ethernet. So, the Board is connected to internet using Ethernet. As security is the major consideration in wireless communication, Hotspot feature is provided with following security modes. WPA2-PSK is more secure -
(i)Open, (ii)WPA-PSK and (iii)WPA2-PSK
Implementation of Non Standard Android feature – Simultaneous Wi-Fi Station-Hotspot modes:
Basic android architecture does not support simultaneous operation of Station mode and Hotspot. Now iWave is providing support for simultaneous working of Station and Hotspot, which allows sharing the available Wi-Fi connectivity, with its client devices.
This feature supports,
- Device(iWave iMX6 Qseven development board) works as a Wi-Fi Access Point(Standard android feature)
- Device works as a Wi-Fi Client (Standard android feature)
- Device works simultaneously as a Wi-Fi AP and a client(Non-standard android feature)
- A Wi-Fi mobile or tablet connects to Device's Access Point(AP)
- Device (As a client) connects to a public AP
- Device bridges the two connections and enables the Wi-Fi mobile to connect to the public AP
Board acts as an Access Point by enabling Hotspot feature. Then the board will act as client by switching on Wi-Fi feature and connecting to an Access Point which is connected to internet.
Pros and cons:
- Internet connectivity sharing is possible.
- Hotspot is provided with Open, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK security modes.
- Network range is up to 10m.
- Device can act as station and as SoftAP simultaneous.
- Number of client devices supported is limited to 10.