Tricked out tech at MakerFaire

Document created by johnmc on May 14, 2014Last modified by johnmc on Oct 6, 2015
Version 16Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

maker-faire-logo.jpgMaker Faires, here we come!

This weekend we'll be sharing some super cool projects in San Mateo, and in September we'll be in New York.The_Display.png

After much work, our team has pulled together some super cool projects built around Kinetis mcus, i.MX 6 processors, Freedom development platforms, as well as popular community projects featuring the UDOO, Riotboard.org, Novena, CuBox-i, Wandboard.org, Wunderbar, ZumoBots and more. Here are a few things that we have planned.

Who doesn't love blinking, flashy lights? The crew over at PJRC has created a LED display (4320 to be exact) all being controlled by ONE Teensy3.1 board, which is about the size of a stick of gum. Paul has cooked up some special Teensyduino sketch library's that take advantage of the Kinetis K20 MCU's direct memory access engine (DMA) features to pull off the video and audio shown in this demo. Not only did Paul manage the difficult LED timing, but it also serves all the video from the SDCard interface. Did we mention it plays audio as well?!

We'll post more on this project here after the San Mateo event.

Once you're done getting your fill of light from the sign, you can test your skills with our hacked Wii-Fi (yes it's WII + WiFi) Nerf Swarmfire.  Add a few servos, a little re-wiring and a custom built WiFi remote and viola ... instant fun!  To pull this off we use two FRDM-KL64Fs on the Nerf itself (base) and one acting as a wireless remote.  The base board processes data from the remote and corresponding controls the servos.

The remote board behaves somewhat like a Wii in that the user has to move the remote around and onboard accelerometers turn that into motion movements which it then passes via WiFi to the base controller. And to top it all off, we just had to 3D print a plastic controller to put it all in.

Check out the on-going documentation of this project so you can make your own.

Those are are my kickin' Kinetis MCUs based demos. Now let's talk multimedia and that means i.MX apps processors.

While your in the area be sure to say hello to Mario. Mario is a DIY Android powered robot with voice recognition and Twitter connection. Mario’s heart is a UDOO Quad running Android 4.3 plus an Arduino Motor Shield which controls 2 servos (Mario’s arms) and 4 Motors that turn 4 wheels (Mario’s legs). To show his cute face Mario has a 7-inch LVDS display while his mouth is a little speaker. To make him talk we used the Google APIs voice recognition and text to speech in order to give him a life. We also used Twitter APIs to control Mario via Twitter, he can read tweets and it’s also possible to send commands to Mario with a simple chirp.

Attachments

Outcomes