As part of the MCUXpresso IDE v11.0.1 release, we had to make some major changes to our LinkServer debugging mechanism to support the latest silicon revision of the LPC55xx family of devices (revision 1B) and the more secure debug request mechanism required by these parts. Such silicon is supplied on LPC55S69-EVK boards marked Revision A2 (or later) on the board silkscreen.
It has been found since the MCUXpresso IDE v11.0.1 release that these changes to LinkServer can, in certain circumstances, provoke problems when starting debug sessions to the earlier revision 0A production silicon. Such silicon is supplied on LPC55S69-EVK boards marked Revision A1 on the board silkscreen. Boards received before November 2019 are very likely to be this revision. Such issues will often manifest as various error popups being displayed by the IDE and the LinkServer flash driver failing to run to completion during the debug startup sequence, meaning that the debug session fails.
This has been resolved in the MCUXpresso IDE v11.1.0 release, but if you are still using v11.0.1, then the issue can be avoided using the supplied updated LinkServer debug configuration script.
NOTE 1: This updated script is only needed if debugging revision 0A silicon, but should not cause issues if used with revision 1B. It is also only needed if debugging using a LinkServer debug connection (typically CMSIS-DAP).
NOTE 2: Boards marked as LPC55S69-EVK Revision 1, 2 or A are fitted with pre-production silicon and not supported by the latest tools (including those from 3rd party partners) and should no longer be used. Note that if you purchased your board from NXP or one of our distributors it will not be Revision 1, 2 or A. Contact your NXP representative to arrange for a replacement unit if using one of these boards.
Note: This patch is suitable for use with MCUXpresso IDE v11.0.1. It should not be used with MCUXpresso v11.1.0 (or later).
To install this updated script file:
- Unzip the attached ZIP file to a temporary location.
- Ensure that MCUXpresso IDE v11.0.1 is not running.
- If you are running on Windows and you have MCUXpresso IDE v11.0.1 installed into the standard installation directory (C:\nxp\MCUXpressoIDE_11.0.1_2563), then you install the patch into your IDE installation by simply running the supplied "install.bat" batch file by either:
- Double clicking on the batch file in Windows Explorer, or
- Running the batch file from a Command Prompt Window opened onto the directory containing the unzipped patch files.
- If you are running on Mac OS / Ubuntu, or on Windows with a non-standard IDE installation location:
- Navigate to the following subdirectory within your IDE v11.0.1 installation folder
- Rename the existing file "LS_preconnect_LPC55xx.scp" to "LS_preconnect_LPC55xx.scp.bak".
- Now copy the supplied new version of the "LS_preconnect_LPC55xx.scp" file into the ToolScripts folder.
Now restart the IDE, and click on the "Clean up Debug" button on the main toolbar, to ensure that no debug process have been left running from any previous failed debug attempts.
You should now be able to debug successfully. If further problems are seen, please delete any .launch files within your project, along with the build directories (typically "Debug" and/or "Release") before trying again.